Should I join up?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Empty_Vacuum, May 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had this on my mind for a while now: should I join the TA?

Well at the moment I'm student who's just about to progress into my A2s. The thing is civilian life bores me sensless and I've had a taste for the Army since I was a boy due to the majority of my family having served as well as currently being in cadets. I eventually want to progress to univeristy and then into the regs as an officer. The UOTC doesn't quite sound like my sort of thing and so I'd really like to join up at my local TAC, where I also attend cadets, E Coy, 7 Rifles. It doesn't help matters when plenty of my secondary school mates have joined the regs and thoroughly enjoying themselves and then there's me sitting here bored stiffless with no excitement what so ever.

The dilema is that if I join up now i may end up going to a university thats located far from the TAC and so would either have to transfer or commute. If I wait until I get to university, then by the time I've finished my training and the 3 years minimum service I would have finished my course, unless I got to Scotland. The thing is soon as I've finished my degree I'd like to go straight to Sandhurst and not have to wait until I've finished my minimum service.

So has anyone got any advice on what I do? Do I join my local unit and consider possibily transfering after a year? Or do I wait around until I get to uni and then join?

2. Join your local unit and get a transfer if/when you move away.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

4. Well I applied for the sixth form scholarship about a year ago and got narrowed down the final hundred but didn't make it past AOSB and so wanted to wait a while to let myself mature. On top of that the bursary scheme means that you have to join the UOTC which I'm not very keen on.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Aside from the fact that this is the TA Forum, what do you have against the UOTC out of interest?

6. Well nothing really its just the TA sounds more of a challenge as well as the possibility of getting a tour under my belt in an infantry soldier role.