Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i join the paras

Decwba18

Swinger
Another year sounds a bit long?
Did he have an alternative option that was coincidentally his cap badge?
Nah just saying any other roles interest you ? And i said no just the paras. But i think you do a lot of class work at harrogate and i never liked school so its swings and roundabouts ay it. Just got another year to keep training so realistically ive got no excuses now to fail. The only other role that intrests me and has from the start is royal marines. Its always been out of royal marines and paras but its the whole sleeping naked infront of ya fellow recruits thats puts me off the marines. Dont know the history behind that.

Nah just saying any other roles interest you ? And i said no just the paras. But i think you do a lot of class work at harrogate and i never liked school so its swings and roundabouts ay it. Just got another year to keep training so realistically ive got no excuses now to fail. The only other role that intrests me and has from the start is royal marines. Its always been out of royal marines and paras but its the whole sleeping naked infront of ya fellow recruits thats puts me off the marines. Dont know the history behind that.
As an ex Royal I've never heard of that?
Induction block for 1st 2 weeks probably held about 50 guys but I cant remember sleeping naked in front of people.
I mean we had blankets?

SeriesOne

Swinger
Served in Paras as a Tom then Line Infantry after Commissioning. If I had my time again I would opt for Royal Engineers. At the time, 1980s & 1990s, they seemed to have more opportunities for doing stuff ( courses, sports, operations) than we had in the Infantry, including Paras. Promotion wise they promoted Corps wide so they seemed to have more options than the usual narrow Battalion opportunities only.

Served in Paras as a Tom then Line Infantry after Commissioning. If I had my time again I would opt for Royal Engineers. At the time, 1980s & 1990s, they seemed to have more opportunities for doing stuff ( courses, sports, operations) than we had in the Infantry, including Paras. Promotion wise they promoted Corps wide so they seemed to have more options than the usual narrow Battalion opportunities only.

I was RAOC back then and ended up staying at the depot, first on a posting, then on a long course after basic. A lot of bodies used to come through on transfer into the corps from various teeth arm units, that included soldiers and officers.

The reason was that as a corps everyone had the opportunity to make it to WO1 as a soldier, and as an officer to Lt.Col. A battalion had a low fixed number of WO1's, Majors and LtCols wheras you could wander round one of our installations and bump into multiple. The old joke was that RAOC LtCols were so plentiful at the MoD that they were tea boys.

I spent 4 years in an RAOC posting where there were 30 some other ranks and 90 members of the Sgts Mess with half of them being WO1's.

If you want promotion you join a nice big corps, or plan on doing so when your knees start to give from running around in the infantry.

Im new on here, dont really know how it works but i need a bit of advice on the army and this seems to be the best place for it. Im 16 years old, i applied for the royal engineers a couple months ago to learn a trade (as the only advice i have been given from family members in life is to learn a trade). I was meant to have my assessment centre 14th of September but was cancelled literally last minute when i was about to leave. That put me off a bit not going to lie, the lack of communication on the recruiters end. The next intake for harrogate will be in March 2021. However i look at it as a bit of a life line because that isn't what i want to do. I am most interested in infantry regiments, specifically PARAS, although the Coldstream guards have caught my attention recently. I am at a good level of fitness, would have all roles open to me except paras, fitness wise, (bleep test). With this extra 6 months, and me having started going gym, I believe i will be fit enough to pass the assessment centre for the Paras to then start basic training at Harrogate. However, with everything going and me being at college once and twice a week, i find myself having a lot of alone time, meaning a lot of overthinking and self doubt. Furthermore, the attempts to politicise the army, like theyve done to the police, is putting me off. It seems that Paras and marines are the only genuine regiments left that wont change there standards. I dont want it to be easy. I want to push myself to my limits and the Paras seem the best place for that. Any advice ?
Cheers.
Guards and Parachuting is a good combination. The Pathfinders are an elite outfit with an interesting role but it's not all about fitness. You may have heard the myths about jumping from aircraft... "Strength of a cart horse and brains of a rocking horse". Nothing further from the truth. Good luck.

Decwba18

Swinger
As an ex Royal I've never heard of that?
Induction block for 1st 2 weeks probably held about 50 guys but I cant remember sleeping naked in front of people.
I mean we had blankets?
You all have to sleep naked. Might just be in training you have to do that but just puts me off. Might seem a bit daft but just not comfortable with it.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
FFS - what a ******* joke. 'You have to sleep naked'? Where did that come from?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
See #65 two posts ago. Do keep up Bubbles.
Post #65 seems to have **** all to do with sleeping naked.

You give a link to some Gunny Hartmann wanabee in post #67 saying baby booties have to sleep naked.

You're trailing.....

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Me or the video?
Are you the OP? If you are then start the training and then when some weirdo says 'you have to sleep naked' take him to court.

Post #65 seems to have **** all to do with sleeping naked.

You give a link to some Gunny Hartmann wanabee in post #67 saying baby booties have to sleep naked.

You're trailing.....
Post 67, my mistake. At 10.25 in the video it shows the recruits standing by their bed naked as ordered by Cpl Frenchie Hartmann. Its what the OP isworried about.

Join another battalion immediately. Wear their headdress with pride, and throw yourself into it. Paras, Marines, it’s all infanteering.
You can thrive or move from there. The army is about fighting, although I believe some make a living from other auxiliary tasks.
Do not join the graveyard of ‘holding platoon’ - too many have gone that way and drifted off.

If the opportunity to join sooner is there, do it. If you still want to jump out of hairy planes look into it later. The Royal Engineers especially, encourage it.

Latest Threads