Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i join the paras

Decwba18

Swinger
Im new on here, dont really know how it works but i need a bit of advice on the army and this seems to be the best place for it. Im 16 years old, i applied for the royal engineers a couple months ago to learn a trade (as the only advice i have been given from family members in life is to learn a trade). I was meant to have my assessment centre 14th of September but was cancelled literally last minute when i was about to leave. That put me off a bit not going to lie, the lack of communication on the recruiters end. The next intake for harrogate will be in March 2021. However i look at it as a bit of a life line because that isn't what i want to do. I am most interested in infantry regiments, specifically PARAS, although the Coldstream guards have caught my attention recently. I am at a good level of fitness, would have all roles open to me except paras, fitness wise, (bleep test). With this extra 6 months, and me having started going gym, I believe i will be fit enough to pass the assessment centre for the Paras to then start basic training at Harrogate. However, with everything going and me being at college once and twice a week, i find myself having a lot of alone time, meaning a lot of overthinking and self doubt. Furthermore, the attempts to politicise the army, like theyve done to the police, is putting me off. It seems that Paras and marines are the only genuine regiments left that wont change there standards. I dont want it to be easy. I want to push myself to my limits and the Paras seem the best place for that. Any advice ?
Cheers.

1 - why do you think the Army had been politicised?

2- considering all Army Regiments have moved from PFA to SCR/RFT, why do you think only Paras and Marines have not "changed their standards" ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Im new on here, dont really know how it works but i need a bit of advice on the army and this seems to be the best place for it. Im 16 years old, i applied for the royal engineers a couple months ago to learn a trade (as the only advice i have been given from family members in life is to learn a trade). I was meant to have my assessment centre 14th of September but was cancelled literally last minute when i was about to leave. That put me off a bit not going to lie, the lack of communication on the recruiters end. The next intake for harrogate will be in March 2021. However i look at it as a bit of a life line because that isn't what i want to do. I am most interested in infantry regiments, specifically PARAS, although the Coldstream guards have caught my attention recently. I am at a good level of fitness, would have all roles open to me except paras, fitness wise, (bleep test). With this extra 6 months, and me having started going gym, I believe i will be fit enough to pass the assessment centre for the Paras to then start basic training at Harrogate. However, with everything going and me being at college once and twice a week, i find myself having a lot of alone time, meaning a lot of overthinking and self doubt. Furthermore, the attempts to politicise the army, like theyve done to the police, is putting me off. It seems that Paras and marines are the only genuine regiments left that wont change there standards. I dont want it to be easy. I want to push myself to my limits and the Paras seem the best place for that. Any advice ?
Cheers.
Royal Engineers have Parachute and Commando trained regiments. They also have Bomb Disposal, Amphibious and Armoured Regiments/Squadrons. Most Engineer Regiments have Diving Teams. Royal Engineers are deployed where ever the Army and RAF go and you will get a trade out of it. Stick with the RE.

It sounds like you really want to join the Parachute Regt, so just do it, enjoy it and study and train for a trade later on.

Too many people think that the army is the only place to learn a trade, although it can be a decent combination to get both at the same time.

Those airborne and Commando engineers that people go on about have a trade on paper, but don't always get the best exposure to it to amass decent experience for it to be of real value in civvy street, and prefer the soldiering side of those units anyway.

I wanted to join The Paras, I was Infantry TA and loving it. I was fit enough.

Did all the tests blah, blah, not as stupid as I thought, told I could do anything and had my head turned, liked cars, became a VM. Shit reason for doing a trade - guess the REME got their quota filled the day I turned up...

VMing was dull and my first posting was a soul crusher so spent as much time as I could away doing other stuff, some of it very cool, but I wasn't going to get promoted doing it so got bored (as I wasn't allowed to do anymore courses...) and left after they sent me to another dull posting (having constantly asked for Teeth Arms), so it didn't get any better and left - shame, I loved it.

I sit here now a long time later still wishing I'd gone Para from the start, but I also did other stuff that I wouldn't have done as a Para so I'm glad I didn't... see what happens...?

So, long windedly, do what ever you really want to do - the one that you know is in your heart, because there's a 99% chance you won't do your trade afterwards, I never did and most don't. If you really want to be a *trade* after a few years, transfer over or dot it when you leave.

After all, the Army is about getting mucky, shooting stuff, blowing shit up and generally being a bad ass.

Good luck.

auggie rock

Old-Salt
I think you know what you want to do, so just give it a go. You can learn a trade later. The only thing I would say is that at 16 years of age and at a point in your fitness where you've been told you do not qualify for the Paras then you would probably do well to concentrate your efforts on getting fit. The old adage that you should train by running as far as you can, then running back again is all very well, but take professional advice too if you can. Dont go crazy. At 16 you're still growing and you can easily do damage with excessive weight training. The last thing you want is an injury that would put the Paras out of reach for good. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Decwba18

Swinger
Have you not seen the army recruitment videos? “Is it ok to cry in the army?”, “Will people judge me for being a women in the army?”, “is it ok to be gay in the army?” ... they dont make a young working class lad like me want to join. It puts me off if anything. Just from what ive been told by ex servicemen in my family and from watching documentaries. The paras and marines seem to be the only ones that still have that “in your face” rough, rigid training.

Have you not seen the army recruitment videos? “Is it ok to cry in the army?”, “Will people judge me for being a women in the army?”, “is it ok to be gay in the army?” ... they dont make a young working class lad like me want to join. It puts me off if anything. Just from what ive been told by ex servicemen in my family and from watching documentaries. The paras and marines seem to be the only ones that still have that “in your face” rough, rigid training.

I wouldn't judge actual life in the army from ads on the tv. I think you'll probably find the training tough enough when do you join up.

The Marines are Navy, not Army.
And I think you will find that every infantry regiment has that 'in your face, rough, rigid training' which you seem very keen to experience.

Decwba18

Swinger
And I think you will find that every infantry regiment has that 'in your face, rough, rigid training' which you seem very keen to experience
And I think you will find that every infantry regiment has that 'in your face, rough, rigid training' which you seem very keen to experience.
Not keen on experiencing it just what you would expect in the army.

tinab

Crow
Cheers.
My son joined Harrogate in Sept 2019 and recently started his Phase 2 at Catterick, he wants to be a Para. If you are considering the Para's, go for it but be prepared to not be able to join Harrogate in March 21. there are limited places for the Para's at Harrogate and they go quickly. My son applied in Feb 19 and didn't initially get a place until March 20. However, they have a reserve list but not all recruitment offices seem to know about it. My son asked to go on the reserve list for the Sept 20 intake and managed to get in. Be prepared to go at the last minute too as a lot of junior soldiers drop out of Harrogate in the first two weeks. Good luck

Decwba18

Swinger
Update : Thought i should mention i have already applied for army at start of lockdown. (Plumber in Royal Engineers). I now do plumbing at college and it is alright , havent got a problem with it , just not something i would want to do in the army. I dont know whether to cancel my application and start a new one or just leave it because i dont want to risk not going to afc harrogate. Also can you change your job choice at the assessment centre if your are fit and intelligent enough for that role?
Cheers

If you have the paras in mind, then you should join them. Do it while you are young and fit. You can always become a plumber later.
I didn't fancy the Paras, but I did think of joining the Hong Kong Police (a Crown Colony inthe 1970s). My friends put me off the idea*. Maybe they were right, but I always wonder how it would have turned out.
I mention this because I get the feeling someone may be trying to dissuade you. At the end of the day, it's your decision.
Good luck in whatever career you pick.

*I was warned that the triads would try to bribe new policemen. If that failed, they just got rid of them.

Decwba18

Swinger
If you have the paras in mind, then you should join them. Do it while you are young and fit. You can always become a plumber later.
I didn't fancy the Paras, but I did think of joining the Hong Kong Police (a Crown Colony inthe 1970s). My friends put me off the idea*. Maybe they were right, but I always wonder how it would have turned out.
I mention this because I get the feeling someone may be trying to dissuade you. At the end of the day, it's your decision.

*I was warned that the triads would try to bribe new policemen. If that failed, they just got rid of them.

The only thing putting me off is a reply i got saying i wont get to harrogate as too many people apply for the paras. And Also the fact ill have to start my application again.

Decwba18

Swinger

To be fair the only things putting me off is a reply i got saying saying i wouldnt be able to go harrogate as too many people apply for paras. And also the fact id have to start my whole application again.

Update : Thought i should mention i have already applied for army at start of lockdown. (Plumber in Royal Engineers). I now do plumbing at college and it is alright , havent got a problem with it , just not something i would want to do in the army. I dont know whether to cancel my application and start a new one or just leave it because i dont want to risk not going to afc harrogate. Also can you change your job choice at the assessment centre if your are fit and intelligent enough for that role?
Cheers

At 16, time is on your side, hun. You have several years to crack on with the plumbing course, get the quals then build up a successful career in the Army with something to fall back on.

One of the stupidest mistakes I made was swapping a trade for a degree, thinking the grass would be greener on the other side. Turns out the people with trades are doing pretty well for themselves.

Secenarios
1. You apply for PARA Regt. Endless waiting for a vacancy at Harrogate. Stay at square 1 for.... how long?
2. You get a place, but fail physical/Pre-Para/vw during Phase1. Go back to square 1.
3. Join the Arm, in RE. Pick up Cbt Engr plus Plumbing. You get a bit more dosh. Maybe get a sigs course in. Get a couple years experience under your belt and then take a look at life, take a look at the wider Army.
a) you discover something you had never before considered/heard of and want it - try, it nothing to lose.
b) you still want PARA. Do P Coy.
i) if you pass, spotty dog. You can serve with an Airborne unit, and consider Pathfinder or transfer to PARA Regt
ii) if you fail, you haven't set your career back. You are still 'in', still earning, and have an idea of the physical standard required. You will know why you really failed (inadequate fitness/prep, injury, did not want it enough, laziness). The first two, if you want it enough, you'll have another go and succeed.

Hopefully that makes sense, its essentially mapping out the options and outcomes. Probably some I have missed.

Latest Threads