Should I give up 6th form and join the army?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by brokenspud, Oct 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Currently in sixth form taking, English language, geog, classics and business studies;

I am really not enjoying it at all. My ambition is to join the military as an officer (2 para) but not sure whether I should just as a reg now.

I gained decent GCSE results: 2A 3B 3C

Some advice would be greatly appreciated;
    Thanks

2. Well you can't join as an officer if you leave sixth form now.

3. No.

If you're doing OK, suck it up and get on with it so that you have some A-levels - the Army will still be there in a year or two's time.

4. Do you think a Geography related subject at uni would be suitable for the army? cheers

5. sod the army, get yourself over to Australia (geography and geology) and into mining, searching for minerals, average wage 130K (aus dollars) desperate for grads straight out of Uni.

Buddy of mine went from uni and stacking shelves in Asda, to earning more than i got a month in a few days.

6. wow, that's about 80/90k (i think) sterling, you got any websites or something with any info about this? cheers mate

7. oh crap, maybe should have got a source before posting that :/

i'll see what i can do, expect a pm rather than a post :)

8. No. Stay at school and get all the quals you can. As has been said before, the Army isn't going to go away. The days of being able to get in with no quals as I and a number of others on here did 30 odd years ago are history. And if it all goes wrong you will still have your academic stuff to fall back on.

9. thanks for that, decided im going to stay in ad get a degree, and cheers smithers

10. Smithers got any jobs for any broken down "lifers"?

11. Stick with school for the time being mate, after you've passed your exams you'll have a whole heap of options.

12. haha :)

dunno if thats sarcastic or not.....

have you considered shooting Pirates in Somalia? or you could go old school with a sabre and an eye patch.

@ brokenspud, pm sent, dunno if it helps or is even relevant :)

13. I binned 6th form and joined up. Never regretted it. But each to their own. Nowadays people are looking for a degree on your CV even for a secretarial position, so quals will never be a bad thing.

14. what did you join mate?

15. Me? REME. Got a trade, Armourer, engineering quals etc but never touched the qualifications in civvy st.