Should I get a hybrid vehicle?

Wow a government scheme that hasnt go as well as it could. Guess we better stop any signs of progress.
I'm saying that simply throwing our (taxpayers) money at it is not going to solve the technology problems of:
a) Battery life
b) Battery death after x many charges (and the high rare earth cost of replacement)
c) Engine (power unit) life (and death)

I'm saying that simply throwing our (taxpayers) money at it is not going to solve the technology problems of:
a) Battery life
b) Battery death after x many charges (and the high rare earth cost of replacement)
c) Engine (power unit) life (and death)
Yet other countries seem to be managing and not coming up with excuses all the time.

Yet other countries seem to be managing and not coming up with excuses all the time.
I know I sound very negative but I am supportive, I just don't believe that we're close enough yet for large scale roll out.

Hydrogen fuel cells seem to be the big hope at the moment for zero-emission HGVs but I'm not convinced that it has been properly thought through and costed. As with a battery there is an electro-chemical conversion process but safety and high pressure storage mean it is necessarily more complicated and much more expensive. Most hydrogen is generated from fossil fuels - an inconvenient fact. Electrolysis is not cheap. Perhaps some innovation will come along and make it practical, safe and cost effective with useful range but I wonder if the current hydrogen path is a dead end that potentially makes matters worse. The recent test with a converted train in the UK proves the technical concept but not the network wide feasibility. How is the hydrogen to be generated?

Blog: Should lorries be powered by Hydrogen? - The Centre For Sustainable Road Freight

Looking at the British HV Systems site they claim a range of 800 miles but the vehicles are artists impressions. Home - HV Systems Good luck to them.

Hyundai and Toyota hydrogen HGV contacts for Switzerland and China may be informative over the next few years. It may be that they are willing to pay the price of lower overall system efficiency and much higher system costs for better air quality, if and only if the generation is via hydro generation. Otherwise it's smoke and mirrors environmentalism?

One country is managing, by large scale Governmental intervention. The UK Government, even supposing it had the will to spend money on this, has been paralysed itself for the last 3 years.

I forgot to mention this previously. There is tremendous pressure around the globe to introduce UAV and that type of technology. Amazon reckon that 90% of the delivery cost is in getting it from the final distribution depot to your house. If they can get a UAV to do that bit they save a large sum. Similarly Uber are pushing hard for sky taxis. There is a huge amount of research and papers whizzing back and forth on how to do it safely. My personal pet hate for UAVs travelling along pedestrian routes etc. Is how easily these things can fall out of the sky. Hence the current separation standards 'cause one of those falling on you is going to ruin your day.
Current plans are to give UAVs their own airspace, away from Air Traffic Control type. If you're interested to know more Google U Space. The pressure has been on the EU for at least a couple of years now.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
one of the biggest worries with electric cars, is the fire risk when involved in an accident
there is a great deal of energy in those cells

a client of mine wanted to fit a tesla battery in his house to provide back up power and be charged by the P.V. system on the roof

when we looked at the risk of fire or explosion if something went wrong with the cell, the costs went through the roof, as the thing would need to be housed in an outbuilding with 4hr fire protection, no good putting it in the garage, petrol cars and heat dont mix, and the rest of the house would be compromised if it was installed there
the cost of running the cabling outside, along with a safe isolator and a fire proof enclosure meant the job was a no no

my brother in law bought an electric car from Portsmouth
he lives on the isle of Mull
took him a week to get home ?

One country is managing, by large scale Governmental intervention. The UK Government, even supposing it had the will to spend money on this, has been paralysed itself for the last 3 years.
Lots of countries are managing, one country just happens to be doing better than the rest.

one of the biggest worries with electric cars, is the fire risk when involved in an accident
there is a great deal of energy in those cells

a client of mine wanted to fit a tesla battery in his house to provide back up power and be charged by the P.V. system on the roof

when we looked at the risk of fire or explosion if something went wrong with the cell, the costs went through the roof, as the thing would need to be housed in an outbuilding with 4hr fire protection, no good putting it in the garage, petrol cars and heat dont mix, and the rest of the house would be compromised if it was installed there
the cost of running the cabling outside, along with a safe isolator and a fire proof enclosure meant the job was a no no

my brother in law bought an electric car from Portsmouth
he lives on the isle of Mull
took him a week to get home ?
All cars these days have ISO safety standards - if the vehicle has been designed improperly of you course it will be in the shit - electric or not. Infrastructure within houses and elsewhere will have to catch up for sure.

I don't think anyone is saying that EVs or whatever will suit your specific needs or requirements right away - depends on your life style and needs.

Well its a good thing petrol isnt flammable otherwise you would never get in a car.

Really? What countries other than Norway have more than 5% PEVs on the road?
China is right now around 4% or something but is expected to grow to almost 40 or something by 2025 because of rapidly changing regulations. And that's an f-ing big market.

China is right now around 4% or something but is expected to grow to almost 40 or something by 2025 because of rapidly changing regulations. And that's an f-ing big market.
OK, I'll buy that. Two countries are managing. Both of them highly interventionist (one more so than the other).

OK, I'll buy that. Two countries are managing. Both of them highly interventionist (one more so than the other).
Like I said before they are not the silver bullet - but a lot of the younger and upcoming generations believe in environment and stuff and are trying to embrace them. They are not quite there for suiting everyone's needs but slowly getting there. I mean when Ford and RAM and GM are about to launch electric and hybrid pick up trucks (which I couldn't even imagine just 3 or 4 years ago), you know shit's getting real!

anglo

LE
PLUG IN CARS PER 1000 PEOPLE

Norway 55.99
Netherlands 8.4
Sweden 7.8
US of A 3.4
China 1.6
Top counties power grids are Hydro or Nuclear

Like I said before they are not the silver bullet - but a lot of the younger and upcoming generations believe in environment and stuff and are trying to embrace them. They are quite there for suiting everyone's needs but slowly getting there. I mean when Ford and RAM and GM are about to launch electric and hybrid pick up trucks (which I couldn't even imagine just 3 or 4 years ago), you know shit's getting real!
I can just imagine the reaction of my redkneck buddies in Houston to being offered an electric truck. I think firearms and/or pitbulls would be involved.

Latest Threads