Should I get a hybrid vehicle?

Battery life is typically about 10 yrs, give or take. And now the they have been going into other uses, like power banks after being refurbed.
Li-ion has a shelf life of perhaps 10 years, but a limited number of charge cycles after which the capacity starts to reduce quickly. Very little progress has been made on extending the number of charge cycles much beyond 500 as the focus has been on increasing energy density and to secondary extent, charge time.

ETA: I have about 200,000 li-ion batteries scattered around the world, that have, in the main been pretty well looked after, and I have maintained a spread-sheet of replacements etc. Excluding those that have been charged and/or stored in hot conditions (>35C), and those which have exceeded 500 charge cycles (which is not many, actually) I would say that the mean life is around 7 years rather than 10 years.

Last edited:
The rush for development is on so it shouldn't be too long before the unit prices come down and the access to charging points radically improve. I would hold your fire for a year, unless you live in the City and drive a diesol then I would suggest you get going asap!

Li-ion has a shelf life of perhaps 10 years, but a limited number of charge cycles after which the capacity starts to reduce quickly. Very little progress has been made on extending the number of charge cycles much beyond 500 as the focus has been on increasing energy density and to secondary extent, charge time.

ETA: I have about 200,000 li-ion batteries scattered around the world, that have, in the main been pretty well looked after, and I have maintained a spread-sheet of replacements etc. Excluding those that have been charged and/or stored in hot conditions (>35C), and those which have exceeded 500 charge cycles (which is not many, actually) I would say that the mean life is around 7 years rather than 10 years.
Well, pretty much all mfrs offer a standard warranty of 8 yrs...I don't know too much about batteries, a tiny bit, but if they are risking their offerings, guess they know something.

And I completely agree with you that degradation happens - my Macbook pro right now gets maybe 3 hours without charging, say compared to almost 6 or 7...

My main hope with batteries is the Solid State ones..

Saw my first Tesla car on Sunday, Tesla S. Walked past it and went back , very nice clean , smooth looking car.

Seeing the number plate it was a German vehicle, thought about HTF it drove down south of Rome , must have taken a week or so. What with a range of 350 miles it says.

Then thought about how new and shiny it looked ,I think the owner shipped it down here.

Why, all hes saying is its no use to him now. One day it will be.
No, he's saying that battery technology (and the engines) are nowhere near good enough and from all other reports nor are they likely to be.
Electric will not cut it for me as I often drive to Aberdeen to visit aged parents, 570 miles each way, which takes on average 10 hours driving at 85 Mph and swapping with the wife every 2 hours plus a couple of pee breaks.

Saw my first Tesla car on Sunday, Tesla S. Walked past it and went back , very nice clean , smooth looking car.

Seeing the number plate it was a German vehicle, thought about HTF it drove down south of Rome , must have taken a week or so. What with a range of 350 miles it says.

Then thought about how new and shiny it looked ,I think the owner shipped it down here.
I don't about here, but in the U.S. we have the super charger network which Tesla installed - so it would about 40 to 50 hours total - coast to coast in the U.S.

Well, pretty much all mfrs offer a standard warranty of 8 yrs...I don't know too much about batteries, a tiny bit, but if they are risking their offerings, guess they know something.

And I completely agree with you that degradation happens - my Macbook pro right now gets maybe 3 hours without charging, say compared to almost 6 or 7...

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the next big breakthrough in batteries will be in production within 2 years, as it has been for the last decade.

No, he's saying that battery technology (and the engines) are nowhere near good enough and from all other reports nor are they likely to be.
Electric will not cut it for me as I often drive to Aberdeen to visit aged parents, 570 miles each way, which takes on average 10 hours driving at 85 Mph and swapping with the wife every 2 hours plus a couple of pee breaks.
People said that about the electric passenger cars, I live in a country where last year, hybrids and all electric made up 50% of all new cars sold.

If the internet had exist 130 years ago, I reckon ARRSE would be full of people criticizing Karl Benz new fangled invention. How do we fill it up, how do we go long distances, how do we repair it, will we die if we go over 10 Mph? The horse and cart is here to stay.

Perhaps I need 2 cars.

The 2 litre diesel estate I have now which will carry me plus family 650 miles on a tank of Derv at 55mpg average, and a little electric milkfloat for going to the office (10 miles).

My last few journeys:

Cheshire to South Wales & back in a day, total 320 miles cross country, the return loaded with 3 adults, boot full of luggage and a bike on the roof.

Cheshire to Portsmouth (Marchwood) & return. No charging point at a hotel, 255 miles each way.

Cheshire to Catterick. 170 miles each way & across the Pennines.

RAF Scampton -- 140 miles each way

In between those, 2x trips to the office (20 miles round trip); 1x trip to town (8 miles), 1 trip to pick daughter up from train (4 miles)

A usable electric car is still 10 years away from me. It was 10 years away last year, and the year before that. I'm currently running a Euro V diesel with 110k on the clock. I will replace it with a Euro VI diesel in the next couple of years.

To be able to offer an 8 year warranty, you need to include clauses limiting the operating, charging and storage temperature ranges, as each of these affects the battery life. The basic cells (we use Panasonic 18650) are specified to 10 years but good luck getting a warranty.

Incidentally, the capacity degradation starts from day 1, it just hits an inflection point at some time depending on the conditions it has endured and been used under. Our measurements indicate that the Panasonic cells have 20% more capacity than nominal at new, and we de-rate them to 20% less than nominal so that they will still be within our quoted spec. at 5 years (our warranty period) as long as they have been used and maintained according to our user instructions.

People said that about the electric passenger cars, I live in a country where last year, hybrids and all electric made up 50% of all new cars sold.

If the internet had exist 130 years ago, I reckon ARRSE would be full of people criticizing Karl Benz new fangled invention. How do we fill it up, how do we go long distances, how do we repair it, will we die if we go over 10 Mph? The horse and cart is here to stay.
I have some sympathy with this view, and I do think that EVs will eventually make a breakthrough in the UK. I just think it will be on a different timescale from what you imagine.

I have some sympathy with this view, and I do think that EVs will eventually make a breakthrough in the UK. I just think it will be on a different timescale from what you imagine.
Depends how much encouragement the Government gives.
Clearly they can't make HGVs that use electric only so that segment of the market cant happen fast. The domestic market could do with a kick *********** though.

Latest Threads