Should I finish my degree before signing up?

Hi,

I'm new to arrse so sorry if this is in the wrong forum! I'm about to start my second year of uni, and I'm not sure If I should just sack it off at the end of this year and sign up instead. I'm wanting to join the RE, preferably as a chippy. I'm interesting in all that kind of stuff, plus you get a load of qualifications. At present, the dream is to become a clerk of construction. The skills I learn in that trade would set me up well for when my army career ends.

I know there will be benefits to having a degree, but it's a biochemistry degree and I doubt I'll need it. I just wanted the experience of uni. But at the same time, the extra two years at uni will put me in more debt and it's two years that I could be spending on the payroll and developing my career if I join the army. What are your opinions?

Cheers

The Army will be only a part of your future career. Whether you do the full 22 or any combination of years up to 22. For example, you could go in and just do six years. A number of factors could determine once in when you want to leave. Some of them could be personal reasons or it may be operational reasons that make you consider staying or leaving at some period of your service. Until you are there, who knows how it may go?

You would be better off finishing your Uni education and getting a degree. It doesn't matter what it's in, it's the educational level that you have achieved that's important for your future. One of the best officers I met had a degree in history. What's history got to do with being in the Army? You tell me but he went on to eventually retire as a Major General.

I do know a former chippy who qualified as a clerk of construction. It's not the traditional route though. Most people follow the academic path while they are young rather than qualifying later while working on the tools as well or they find an employer willing to sponsor them through the courses as part of their employment.

The bottom line is, whatever you end up doing either in the Army or outside of it, a degree level of education will open doors to you that won't open if you don't have it.

Never wittingly pass up on an open door to opportunity. Quite aside from it being useful to the CV and your general education, it also demonstrates your scope and maturity to see things through.

If I were the recruiter, I'd need to hear a good reason as to why you jacked in order to allay my fears. You might, after all, jack after I've nearly trained you....

Stick to it. The upside outweighs the disadvantages. If debt is the worry, consider options to reduce it (part-time work etc).

Other than the fact you have a graduation certificate for later life. You could also mention your doubts but having graduated show your ability to 'battle on through' rather than take the easy option of baling out.
Plus academia may assist you to achieve good written and communication skills, critical thinking, ability to analyse, synthesize, reflect on and present arguments. Allied to problem solving and evaluating issues.

You'll also be in danger of becoming one of the dull "I could have done a degree" people you'll invariably meet if you do join up.

You'll also be in danger of becoming one of the dull "I could have done a degree" people you'll invariably meet if you do join up.

Or don't join up either and become one of the " I could have done a degree" - "I was going to join the army once" as your flipping burgers......double whammy!

Finish your degree or you will risk being seen as a quitter and finish your career before it begins.

Looks like there will be openings for biochemists soon, so hurry up and qualify ......... we may well need you to run a quarantine camp in Wales for Nigerian health tourists!

See, everyone is born for a purpose :)

Yeah I guess you're all right. I've been watching the Commando tele show on Channel 4 and it's getting me well hyped for joining. At least sticking at my degree gives me another couple years of freedom and partying. Cheers for the advice!

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Or don't join up either and become one of the " I could have done a degree" - "I was going to join the army once" as your flipping burgers......double whammy!

Yeah I guess you're all right. I've been watching the Commando tele show on Channel 4 and it's getting me well hyped for joining. At least sticking at my degree gives me another couple years of freedom and partying. Cheers for the advice!
What you want to see other men naked and crawl about in mud? You're weird.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Get your degree, you imbecile, then look at joining.

Or, how about...

Stick with your degree and join the Army Reserve. Then, in two years time, you have the choice of following the biochemistry career path with part-time soldiering or joining the Army full time with a bit more knowledge of what it's all about. You're aware that becoming a Clk Wks (C) will take the best part of 10 years or so?

Armed with that knowledge, and a degree under your belt, you may decide that you'd rather join the Army an officer.

At the start of your working life, it's worth keeping as many options open as you can.

Puttees, has a very good option. Plus the money from the reserves will help pay for uni. And it will look good on you CV

I have seen a good number of students do this.

SuperGay

Old-Salt
Have you seen if there is an OTC unit at your university? or how about the Army Reserve? Studying whilst being a stab allows you to also defer a deployment should you be called up as well as other benefits including an insight, and its not too demanding alongside a uni degree