Should I bother ever working again?

Hopefully I'll be through rehabilitation in the next two years. I'll rapidly be closing in on 48.

People I meet often ask what I'm going to do when I leave, I did think, naturally, that I would take up some kind of paid employment. Recently I'm seriously considering not bothering with the whole work thing as there is very little point.

Financially I'll be fine, I can live comfortably take a couple of holidays for a year and live day to day without any worry. If I wanted to move to the next level - mansion, fancy car, etc, etc, I would have to start earning big bucks - 250/500 k a year, now while I feel I could work to that level, I'd have to start somewhere down the ladder, really bang in the effort and I'd always be comparing it to the best job I had, knowing it could never be the same, besides that money has never really motivated me beyond being comfortable.

The grand idea/plan is to get a bespoke camper conversion, then travel about the country. I'm doing a fair amount with BLESMA and looking at getting involved in theatre skills through another charity.

I do intend to claim all the benefits I can and will probably complete another degree or two, student loans will cover those. I'm looking at this -

FdSc Surf Science and Technology

Is there a flaw in my grand plan? Will I find myself fúcked after five years?

Can I improve it? What would you do in my situation?

chimera

LE
No flaw in the plan: live comfortably and enjoy life on what you have now. People don't get 250K p.a.without serious stress and aggravation, and you have had enough of that. Get the camper and just do it. Trick is to keep the brain engaged as well, so a bit of study (as long as you enjoy it) is good.

My nephew was mostly blinded in Iraq. He spends most of his life swanning around doing good work for blind veterans. Apart from the obvious inconvenience he seems to think his life changed for the better.

Sounds like a plan. If and when you decide to go back to earning money (rather than sponging off us taxpayers :p), I'm sure you could justify the gap in your CV as re-discovering who you are.

My nephew was mostly blinded in Iraq. He spends most of his life swanning around doing good work for blind veterans. Apart from the obvious inconvenience he seems to think his life changed for the better.
I understand what he means, but I could never say it changed for the better, just different and I'm quite positive about it apart from the never ending rehab dragging me down.

Personally I think you have to do something , whether it makes money or not depends on your finances , if you dont have to make money do something you enjoy, The FdSc sounds like an enjoyable one to do, do a BSc then a MSc afterwards, learning new stuff is addictive and constructive.

if you are already financially independent and happy with that then no, there is no point going back to ¨work¨.

Somebody said this to me once and i´ve said it to others when they have been wondering what to do with their lives and it is good advice - ¨If money was not a factor, in anyway, what would you do with your time?¨

Your bills are all paid, you have all the food you want, holidays planned and paid for, you do not need to go to a job to sustain yourself, so what would get you up and out of bed?

Very few people say that they would continue doing their current job. I would probably lie in bed 24/7 masturbating, eating crisps and watching the poker channel but then again, i might get down to building my workshop and getting on with perfecting extracting hydrogen from sea water to power any ICE that I want, I have various ideas to cover the electricity demands such as solar, wind and sterling engines.

Sadly I do have bills to pay so I must commit to a certain amount of dull contract work to pay for it all.

Whatever you do, I am envious and wish you luck in finding your passion in life, which is what we should all be looking for (imagine a world where everyone did their passion for a living)

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Hopefully I'll be through rehabilitation in the next two years. I'll rapidly be closing in on 48.

People I meet often ask what I'm going to do when I leave, I did think, naturally, that I would take up some kind of paid employment. Recently I'm seriously considering not bothering with the whole work thing as there is very little point.

Financially I'll be fine, I can live comfortably take a couple of holidays for a year and live day to day without any worry. If I wanted to move to the next level - mansion, fancy car, etc, etc, I would have to start earning big bucks - 250/500 k a year, now while I feel I could work to that level, I'd have to start somewhere down the ladder, really bang in the effort and I'd always be comparing it to the best job I had, knowing it could never be the same, besides that money has never really motivated me beyond being comfortable.

The grand idea/plan is to get a bespoke camper conversion, then travel about the country. I'm doing a fair amount with BLESMA and looking at getting involved in theatre skills through another charity.

I do intend to claim all the benefits I can and will probably complete another degree or two, student loans will cover those. I'm looking at this -

FdSc Surf Science and Technology

you have done more than most
be an inspiration for others who need a guide, life is not all about money
if not Uber always need a drivers !!

I understand what he means, but I could never say it changed for the better, just different and I'm quite positive about it apart from the never ending rehab dragging me down.
Previously he was looking at a career changing oil filters and brake pads, since, he's been all over the world giving inspirational talks and is bezzers with Harry the ginger.

In my experience £120k is about the ceiling for being a serious time served SME without the politics or playing the managerial game.
The later seriously digs into a bad work life balance and I mean seriously, I have known quite a few suicides in hotel rooms.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer

Don't know the details, but it sounds pretty sensible.

I reckon you'd pass the Daily Mail test where "punish this evil scrounger!" clashes with "how dare you refuse to care for Our Hero, seriously injured in the line of duty".

If you can live reasonably comfortably, keeping yourself occupied with stuff you enjoy, then I'd say crack on with it.

If you and your family can live comfortably - financially as you have mentioned.

Then do what you want to do

There are very few people in jobs the really enjoy doing and most would sooner be doing something else but have commitments like mortgages to keep them chained to the rat race

A few lucky people can and do make a living out of their hobbies or passions.

Archie

If you and yours are sorted financially then do what you want. I changed direction this year , after working on the tools I became a desk jockey which I really didn't enjoy so when some mates asked me to get involved running a sailing team I jumped at the chance. A steep learning curve and I still have to deal with idiots at times but I don't regret it. Do what feels right and all the best Dingerr.

If there's something you really enjoy doing then consider maybe doing it as a business - you'd have one great advantage - you wouldn't be relying on it to provide your living, but done right, it could give someone else a living. For example, if you love books, open a bookshop, if you enjoy theatre production, open a theatre company for kids to get them involved. As long as it makes sufficient profit to break even, it's your hobby - if it makes a bit more, it's a paid hobby, and if it makes enough to employ someone, you have a hobby and someone else has an income they have worked for.

Nomad1382

War Hero
If you can live comfortably I say go for it! I think as long as you keep mind and body reasonably occupied (not busy, busy sounds like work) life will be good.

Latest Threads