Should Hammond Stay or Go?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by cernunnos, Oct 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wanted to get this ball rolling to save time later. Once the Foxy Liam "I'm too sexy for my Jermyn street shirt" based schadenfreude fades, I think it's a question we will need to ask.

I'll give you a hint, our erstwhile, hand picked, new boss cut his teeth running the treasury coffee swindles.......having learned the high art of penny pinching there he was appointed chief pension vampire, some of you may have noted that your pensions and terms of service have been****ed about with from that quarter lately......not much hope to be found there then....!

Hammond arse kissers, please feel free to shoot this thread down, but be prepared for some ridicule later!
  2. Well at least we can recycle a TLA as he is TCH as well :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The programme won't be the same just mean more of Jezza's smugness!
  4. I thinkl we we need to distinguish between the two! TCH1 and TCH2 perhaps? After all the ineffectual pocket liner TCH1 still is and always will be a ****, even out of office.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I got all excited when I thought they'd appointed James Hammond instead of another useless politician. Clarkson would be an even better choice.
  6. Who's James Hammond?
  7. As long as Captain Slow stays I don't care.
  8. Hear hear, he is so much better than Hammster
  9. Hammster's ok. Good for a laugh.
  10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

...for the hard of hearing , in The Eye's time honoured manner:

[​IMG] - - [​IMG]
    Top Gear's pint-sized tame yam-yam grebo, Richard Hammond................Her Majesty's Secretary of State for War, the Rt Hon Philip Hammond MP, BA(Oxon)
  11. As a slight thread drift, given the propensity for our Prime Ministers of late to involve us in far away conflicts, would it not be better to revert to the name of War Department instead of Ministry of Defence? All in the name of open government and all that.
    • Like Like x 5
  12. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

He's shown himself as quietly competent in his previous job - so may well prove so in this one.

As to lack of military experience, he's got professional advisors AKA the Service Chiefs. It should be the case that the Secretary of State for Defence should be presented with a series of professionally evaluated alternatives to choose between. No minister is better than the advice he/she is given.

If Hammond feels he is getting bad advice, then he can ask for more alternatives. If he does not have confidence in the advice he is being given, then he must change his advisors - which would result in the resignation of one or more of the Service Chiefs.

As to the 'bean counting' accusation - maybe we need a minister who can get the maximum benefit from the existing budget. After the utter fcuk-up the previous administration made of the defence budget, I would be very surprised if there were not efficiency savings a competent administrator could identify. More efficient use of resources = more boots on the ground for the same money.

Politicians are not in power to win popularity contests - they are in power to make the best possible use of the available resources. Maybe Hammond should be given the benefit of the doubt until his performance in office can be assessed?

13. War Office only ran the Army, Admiralty ran the Navy and Air Ministry ran the RAF.

Therefore, the number of civil servants would treble overnight if your suggestion were implemented.