Should dogs be allowed in Messes?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by AcornSunray, Jun 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The army has a long tradition of single officers living in messes, many with their dogs, who generally accompanied their masters to work, where they were fully integrated into the sub units. In recent years, new build mess accommodation and the fall out from some ill trained animals has led to increasing limitations on the numbers of messes which allow dogs and, even in those that do, the areas in which they are permitted.

Should we care? Do you like having dogs in the mess and at work? Or are you pleased an old fashioned habit is being eased out?

2. Something is needed to behave more badly than the Subalterns & the Pads' children on Sundays after church.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes. Move along. Nothing to see here.

4. Dogs are a valuable military resource and they were used effectively in some military units during previous wars. They can give early warning of danger.

5. I'm not allowed to play in here, but I think it's a good job I'm not.

Dale has itchy fingers about the dog in the mess thing.

6. No.

I wouldn't want my dog associating with living in mess members - he might pick up some bad habits.

Rodney2q

7. Why not, we always end up in theirs.

8. Yes, of course they should.

If it has to be explained to you, you probably wouldn't understand.

• Like Like x 1
  9. **** it, I'll do it.

Piss off.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Where's that poster when you need it?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Where are the big men when I need them?

Oh, that's right.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yes - if there was no friendly, young, muscular labrador in your room, what would you do at 3am on a Saturday morning when you stagger back to the mess after failing to trap off yet again?

13. That looks like oddly fine netting for a manatee to be tangled up in...