Should disruption of or disrespect to acts of remembrence be made a Criminal offence?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by gizmo17, Nov 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As we approach the 11th many are prepareing to show there respect for the Fallen. However some are also set to disrupt and abuse such acts and symbols such as the poppy.

This is a country that beleives in individual freedom but should we not draw the line here?.

2. And extend it how far? A family scuffle at a normal funeral? Some piss head having a bit of a singsong at 11am on the 11th of November?

Generally people sort it out themselves if they are that offended, the knobbers who turned up at Luton saying soldiers were murderers got a few nudges from the irate crowd.

3. You've answered the question yourself. If you wish to protest against something you disagree with and stay within the law I haven't got a problem.

What are these plans you talk off? Any links?

4. There are reportedly plans by a celtic supporters group to disrupt any act of silence or respect on the 10th at Tynecastle in Edinburgh.
    I dare say if last year is anything to go by that will not be a isolated incident.

People only need to be silent for a minute not much to ask if they disagree surely they should simply stay away.

5. Everyone has the right to protest peacefully and within the law,that is why those we remember those who gave their lives.Should some choose to in somepeoples opinion choose a time that is "disrespectful",perhaps simply ignoring them and lending no creedence to thier cause is the best thing to do.

6. Or wait until theres no old bill or CCTV about and "nudge" them.

7. Obviously those Celtic supporters would be showing an utter ignorance of their own history. If I remember, 7 footballers who played for Celtic were killed during the Great War. Willie Angus who signed for Celtic in 1912 was awarded a VC in 1915. Those modern day Celtic supporters are compete tossers who are ill educated.

8. I don't believe in "nudgeing" them,think of the further claims and publicity they would get from their mates in the lefty media,plus if "nudged"a little to"enthusiasticly"the waste of N.H.S.time and resources.

9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Where next? Deify those clowns that attacked people for daring to carry on as normal on the day of Princess Di's funeral?

As long as the protest is lawful, no matter how distasteful you or I may find it, I don't believe legislation would be appropriate. They have an opinion (as historically inept as it is).

10. Given the attachment of Hearts to the history of 16 R Scots, then I expect there will be a degree of 'nudging' in response.

But no - there should not be a law against this sort of thing, we are a free country (in large past as a result of the sacrifice commemorated on 11 Nov) and that includes the freedom of a bunch of pig-ignorant weegie bawbags to make a lot of noise expressing the fucked-up amalgam of history, religion and fitba' that poisons their tiny rat-brains.

C_C

11. I fully acknowledge and accept the point made by many with regards to the right to freedom of speech and expresion. However do I and many others not have the right to show respect and remember the fallen without disruption.

If Walter mitty revolutionaries wish to display there ignorance let them fill there boots but not at the expense of other peoples rights.

In this world we now live in Rememberance Sunday and armistice Sunday itself is not only an act of rememberence it is also carried out for many in grief from a recent loss, who looks after there rights to express there grief without morons sounding off.

12. When all is said and done, it's entirely up to Police to contain or arrest as the situation demands. But I know what you mean,how we'd all love a bolt of lightning to fry the ******* lot of the chanting moronic pigs..well, I have as much right to free speech as they do.

13. But they don't, do they? If little Anjem and his mates turn up at the Cenotaph in Whitehall and reduce some of the old boys to tears, nothing will be done. Yet the Met saw fit to arrest a woman for standing in front of the Cenotaph and reading out a list of Iraq war dead.

Anjem stood outside Westminster Cathedral and called for the Pope to be murdered. The police stood by and did nothing. Anjem hasn't been on telly since the BBC realised he is a twat, rather than al Qaeda's man in Britain. I fear he may have something of a performance planned for Remembrance Sunday. If we don't nip such antics in the bud, the service at the Cenotaph will become a circus as protesters see who can get the most air time on telly.

14. I think Anjem realises that (Like Luton showed) the general public will panel him in to floor. He might attend some small remembrance parade somewhere with the intent of causing trouble, but if he trys it at the Centopath he might find Joe Average doesnt care about the law, just before he get chinned.

15. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

That will be, er, inequal rights for the rest of is then. Can't touch Anjem or anyone who face's East when kneeling down, as you will be accused of racism. Everything and anything that is deemed incompatible with the 'religion of peace' is immediately stamped down upon. Preparation for full scale 'integration of ideology' or not, the simple fact is if I called myself a follower of Mohammed, lined up with some armchair jihadi screamers on 11/11 and gave a rousing performance, all that would happen is Thames House - types would write up a nice little piece on me and some blue jeans lads will follow my knackered old Ford around for a bit. I would have my get out of jail free book and no doubt Shami C can wail 'uman rights breaches on my behalf if plod even looks at me askance.

One rule for some, another set of rules for the rest of society. Anyway, where's my rug and compass....