Should Cambridge take away Nick Griffins Degree.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Monty417, Apr 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

BNP leader Nick Griffin is set to be stripped of his degree by Cambridge.

It would be the first time EVER an ex-student's qualification has been revoked.

Bigot Griffin, 51, graduated from the university's Downing College in 1980 with a 2:2 honours in law. But chiefs want to cut all ties with the extremist.

Cambridge's governing body passed a motion to annul Griffin's degree on Wednesday by 64 per cent. The proposal just needs to be ratified by the vice-chancellor to become official.

Spokesman Tim Holt said: "This is highly irregular, but well within the limits of the governing body. The university can't afford to be connected with such a widely-reviled figure."

Surely nobody would assume that Cambridge endorses the BNP just because the party's leader happened to get a degree there. I don't think that this has been thought through properly. The last time I looked, like it or not, the BNP are a legitimate movement. Very undemocratic of this university surely and seemingly unfair to take away something worked hard for.
  2. I wasn't even aware that it was possible to revoke a degree. And even though I've no time at all for your man Griffin, he earned it fair and square. I can't really see the point of it all.

3. Indeed and more sympathy to his cause. No doubt he'll be able to find a number of graduates that are convicted kiddie fiddlers and criminals, which will make the uni hierarchy eat dirt.
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

nothing as undemocratic as a bunch of lefties on a witchhunt.
  5. Did he go to the college and study like everyone else to get the degree? or was it given to him? (which I doubt)

If he did the work to gain it, then how can it be taken away?
  6. While I'm no supportor of Griffin he did earn it fair and square, so no they shouldnt revoke it.

However if they do I would look forward to a few other's losing theirs as well... such as Blair and his pet frog for starters...
  7. Political persecution of someone who earned his degree whatever you think of the man.

More sympathy and votes will be the end result.
  8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Its odd that they never felt the need to revoke the qualifications of the Cambridge 5. Men who committed treason and were responsible for many deaths.

As despicable as Griffin is he has not committed treason and as far as I am aware he is not responsible for anyone being killed. (You could argue that he has indirectly incited racist attacks that have lead to deaths but...) Of course he isn't an a lefty toff so I suppose he is fair game.
  9. Yes he went to Downing and earned it. However, I believe that both Cambridge and Oxford can revoke a degree, some medieval thing.

Don't believe it's been done before though.
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Well, more to the point . . . . Griffin got his degree because he passed the course. They can't retrospectively say that he didn't.

If they do, it makes their degrees worthless, a mockery. Might as well cancel all funding of the fcuking place and shut it down.
  11. Did anyone think of looking where and, more importantly, when this article first appeared?
  12. If that is the case, then surely he has grounds on political discrimination to stop them?
  13. Even though the OS is the Sun, and the timing suspect then possible April fool???

Have to agree with others POV that he "has" earned it irrespective of how disliked he is politically
  14. Are you saying the Sun newspaper isnt the font of all knowledge?

15. ~Political view now

The scum is a bag of shite load of bollocks, that prints shite regardless of the truth or its love of the BAF and should be burned to the ground for all the lies it has told over the years......

and breath.

Dont read the scum.