Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Should British Police be armed as standard 2018?

Should British police be routinely armed?

• Yes

Votes: 78 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 103 56.9%

• Total voters
Fail. A taser is not a guarantee to stop people.

Here is body camera footage from FOCO. About an hour South of me.

Police release first video of fatal shooting

People mistake TASER for Phaser......

Not uncommon for the barb to fail to penetrate, which means the weapon cannot cycle and disfunction the target.

Then you just have someone a bit more annoyed than they were a few seconds ago.

As a negotiating tool, excellent the pyschological effect of being "red dotted" cannot be underestimated. Excellent way to de-escalate a situation, as the suspect has an opportuinity to back down with face (in my experience). Never leave a person with no exit to a situation, they can become quite unpredictable. The trick is to make sure they have the option you want them to have!

Not uncommon for the barb to fail to penetrate, which means the weapon cannot cycle and disfunction the target.

As a negotiating tool, excellent the pyschological effect of being "red dotted" cannot be underestimated. Excellent way to de-escalate a situation, as the suspect has an opportuinity to back down with face (in my experience). Never leave a person with no exit to a situation, they can become quite unpredictable. The trick is to make sure they have the option you want them to have!

Yes you are correct sir. But firearms are just another tool to protect the public, which I don’t understand why it so hard to grasp that concept.

Yes you are correct sir. But firearms are just another tool to protect the public, which I don’t understand why it so hard to grasp that concept.

It is a very British Problem.

An unarmed police force is a totemic issue.

To alter that would require senior leaders and politicians effectively to risk being labelled as failure.

So the sensible risk assessment of what tools should be available, is forever second to the political neccessity to preserve the generally unarmed mainland UK police.

To alter that would require senior leaders and politicians effectively to risk being labelled as failure.

So the sensible risk assessment of what tools should be available, is forever second to the political neccessity to preserve the generally unarmed mainland UK police.

Which boggles my mind, because it is 2018 and reality has changed. Adapt or die folks, because one day you won’t have a police force or be able to afford to recruit people to put up with the bullshit.

Mrs May for one. She said there was not the money when she was Home Secretary.

She also ruled out arming officers after the murder of two GMP officers in a gun and grenade attack.

But I for one am grateful that the money was found to institute Police and Crime Comissioners.
Commissioners were introduced for the sole purpose of giving the politicians direct control of a Police Service that culturally and historically had a position of independence - baring Chief Officers who were sycophants or political climbers. The rest where left to retire or generally fade away. The odd one or two even fell off the side of mountains.

Last edited:

Wot 'e sed

Yes, I agree with all of that but bullets too have an annoying habit of not going where you send them (they're tricky little buggers), which also tends to upset people.

Again, it's a question of proportionality - lots of Cops are assaulted or face the threat of being assaulted. Outside of planned firearms operations, few Cops face being shot at relative to the amount of Police/public interaction that takes place on a daily basis. Short of a sudden increase in MFA scenarios, I can't see there ever being a driver to arm all Cops in Mainland UK. Despite its limitations, widespread issue of Taser would still provide the single biggest positive effect to Officer safety.

All equipment (and people) have their limitations. The use of (likely) lethal force for all such circumstances isn't proportionate.

Yes, I agree with all of that but bullets too have an annoying habit of not going where you send them (they're tricky little buggers), which also tends to upset people.

Again, it's a question of proportionality - lots of Cops are assaulted or face the threat of being assaulted. Outside of planned firearms operations, few Cops face being shot at relative to the amount of Police/public interaction that takes place on a daily basis. Short of a sudden increase in MFA scenarios, I can't see there ever being a driver to arm all Cops in Mainland UK. Despite its limitations, widespread issue of Taser would still provide the single biggest positive effect to Officer safety.

All equipment (and people) have their limitations. The use of (likely) lethal force for all such circumstances isn't proportionate.

Hey when somebody is willing to get all stabby, lethal force is justified. A knife will **** you up just as well as a bullet and tasers as I have mentioned and demonstrated don't always work.... Besides Glock's are cheaper by half. You can pay for the pistol, mags, ammo, and training for what one would pay for a Taser and training.

Believe me, Trident is easier to justify than extra guns for cops.

If our senior officers thought more of their junior officers than they did their rise up the greasy pole, they would be on the ball about letting the public and politicians know of the daily instances of cops getting hit by cars, having knives pulled on them and getting attacked by groups with impunity.

Because it’s not regularly reported, the public don’t really know or care about it.

Given the choice, funds and training hours, I would equip every cop with Taser - that would have a more direct impact on Officer safety. It’s also a proportionate response - but I know others disagree.

A 60% success rate and you have to be within 14 to 21 feet of an armed person. Who hopefully doesn’t have a decent jacket on or access to hard cover. Yes Taser is better than nothing but not something to depend on or to take to a knife fight.

A 60% success rate and you have to be within 14 to 21 feet of an armed person. Who hopefully doesn’t have a decent jacket on or access to hard cover. Yes Taser is better than nothing but not something to depend on or to take to a knife fight.

My winter coat will stop a taser barb with ease. It also has the ability to attach Molle accessories, in a pair of compartments.

Cabela's Men's Concealed-Carry Washed-Canvas Jacket XXL - $29.88 (Free S/H over $50 w/code

If our senior officers thought more of their junior officers than they did their rise up the greasy pole, they would be on the ball about letting the public and politicians know of the daily instances of cops getting hit by cars, having knives pulled on them and getting attacked by groups with impunity.

Because it’s not regularly reported, the public don’t really know or care about it.
The MSM don’t report it. If it’s not widely reported, the public won’t know about it - hence why it’s not reported. Don’t confuse that with such events not being reported up the line - the law requires that it is.