Should British Police be armed as standard 2018?

Should British police be routinely armed?

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 82 60.7%

• Total voters
I know we've had other threads on this subject but policing changes overy time and we've seen increases in the amount of terrorism, knife crime and gang crime over the last few years. The question other whether UK police should be armed as standard is always at the back of our minds whenever situations come along where armed officers may have made the difference.

Here is an interview of a British police officer with 21 years of experience by a US police officer who has a YouTube channel called "Mike the Cop". He was comparing the differences between UK and US policing requirements for firearms.

I'm generally against arming the police as standard but he does make good points regarding terrorism in rural areas where firearms officers aren't as readily available and in combating knife/gang crime.

I've created as simple poll to see where the wisdom of arrse stands, in addition to wondering what everyone thinks the consequences of arming police would be.

Interview generally starts at the 6:00 mark, standard interview fluff to get comfortable before that.

I know we've had other threads on this subject but policing changes overy time and we've seen increases in the amount of terrorism, knife crime and gang crime over the last few years. The question other whether UK police should be armed as standard is always at the back of our minds whenever situations come along where armed officers may have made the difference.

Here is an interview of a British police officer with 21 years of experience by a US police officer who has a YouTube channel called "Mike the Cop". He was comparing the differences between UK and US policing requirements for firearms.

I'm generally against arming the police as standard but he does make good points regarding terrorism in rural areas where firearms officers aren't as readily available and in combating knife/gang crime.

I've created as simple poll to see where the wisdom of arrse stands, in addition to wondering what everyone thinks the consequences of arming police would be.

Interview generally starts at the 6:00 mark, standard interview fluff to get comfortable before that.

Well aren't you fuçking original, what's next a thread on SLRs you twát

Tazer now being rolled out to any who want to carry it. This should deal with most non-firearm threats. Guns will come in a few avoidable tragedies more.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm generally against arming the police as standard but he does make good points regarding terrorism in rural areas
Can't think of a single incidence of such off the top of my head. Sounds like the answer to a question no -one's asked.*

*Except on here where it's asked with tedious regularity.

I don’t trust half of my colleagues who are issued with CAPTOR spray, let alone tasers. The thought of routinely arming all scares the life out of me.

It’s just not in the psyche of a lot of cops/Brits to be armed.

Needs a massive culture change that would probably take a generation..

knife crime is up, and on the up, but who takes a gun to a knife fight, tasers do the job just fine. Anyway, just look what happens to officers who shoot someone dead in the uk, hung out to dry, scapegoat, patsy....

Can't think of a single incidence of such off the top of my head. Sounds like the answer to a question no -one's asked.*

The point being if/when terrorists realise there are some soft targets out there with little/slow armed response it could be a major problem. Crashing vehicles into crowds wasn't that popular but now it's the go to attack. It hasn't happened until it's happened.

knife crime is up, and on the up, but who takes a gun to a knife fight, tasers do the job just fine. Anyway, just look what happens to officers who shoot someone dead in the uk, hung out to dry, scapegoat, patsy....
so we should issue coppers with chopping boards with a long handle?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Anyway, just look what happens to officers who shoot someone dead in the uk, hung out to dry, scapegoat, patsy....
Not a single one ever tried: it's hardly an occupational hazard.

Because you can't get an Authorized Firearms Officer on demand when required? Every force maintains a fleet

Costs of equipping, training, certifiying them stretch the budget elastic beyond its already broken point?

Upping the weapons profile could be seen as force multiplication which would encourage those voted to protect us to further reduce police numbers. Armed neighbourhood watch is the way to go.:p

Do you not remember the Nottingham incident. Bloody armed foreigners coming over here, oppressing our local ways, forcing men in tights into the forest where they spent far too much time slapping their thighs and laughing heartily (up trees) at Norman soldiers who had to run away in their underpants. The Sherrif was armed then and look at how well that went.

Hold on I'm not sure which way this post is going anymore. Am I for, or against, armed coppers?