Should Bernard Matthews be closed down for good?

Wouldn't have thought so... Their standards of welfare are probably no worse (and actually rather better) than most of the intensive breeders/factories producing cheap poultry for the multiples...

If it's still legal then others would just step into the breach and provide the meat.

If Bernard Matthews has been found to be producing Turkeys of Mass Destruction I think we should invade Norfolk without delay.

psychobabble said:
Wouldn't have thought so... Their standards of welfare are probably no worse (and actually rather better) than most of the intensive breeders/factories producing cheap poultry for the multiples...

If it's still legal then others would just step into the breach and provide the meat.
Except the cheap poultry in question isn't really poultry but 40% water and other additives http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/latest_watermeat_apr05.htm :mad:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
To answer the question; Well, no. Where on earth would I get my mini kievs from?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Um...was being a bit facetious mate. Sorry.

Weissbier said:
psychobabble said:

Except the cheap poultry in question isn't really poultry but 40% water and other additives http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/latest_watermeat_apr05.htm :mad:
Accepted, but the 'poultry' that replaced it would be exactly the same! To be fair to BM some of their produce is proper meat (whole turkeys, crowns et al), though wouldn't shed too many tears if Drummers, Twizzlers et al disappeared for good!

They did change the 'recipe' for Twizzlers after the Jamie Oliver programmes, so they are significantly less NaCl-laden, but still wouldn't catch me eating one!

Get to Morrisons for cheap Bernard Mathews stuff at the moment. Lots of 2 for 1 offers. Just right for late evening snacks. Especially after the pub.

But make sure SWMBO cooks them. Cos we all know what were like when pissEd

Read the opening post...mmmmm?..lentil eater came to mind...read the other posts from Weissbeer.. confirmed my suspicion... A liberal, lentil eating, tree hugging Guardian reader!
Anything as ugly as a turkey deserves to be killed and eaten...pity we can't do the same Guardian readers

I wouldn't cry a tear to see the reconstituted mess that they sell as food thrown into the fiery pits.

Have stopped eating any foodstuff that contains ingredients ending in '-ase' or that have been replaced entirely by an alphanumeric code.

I remember coming home a little merry one night and finding a bag of Twizzlers in the freezer. I cooked a bunch of them up, and I have to say as drunk food I thought they were rather nice.

It was just that in the morning, on top of the hangover feeling, I had a really nasty headache that I am sure was caused by the tat that they pump into them.

tafmad said:
Read the opening post...mmmmm?..lentil eater came to mind...read the other posts from Weissbeer.. confirmed my suspicion... A liberal, lentil eating, tree hugging Guardian reader!
Anything as ugly as a turkey deserves to be killed and eaten...pity we can't do the same Guardian readers
That's disgusting! You wouldn't really eat a chav would you?

It now looks increasingly likely that Bernard Matthews' intensive food production methods e.g. importing 36 tons of turkey from his factory in Hungary every week have brought us H5N1 far more effectively than a wild migrating bird could have done it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6346905.stm

It's also looking more likely that H5N1 originated in processed poultry, and was then transferred across to wild birds.