Should Bernard Matthews be closed down for good?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Weissbier, Feb 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First the turkey twizzler :puker: no longer being produced,,1431432,00.html and now thousands of turkeys who do not see the light of day kept in unsavoury conditions being culled, the avian flu being linked to another Bernard Matthews concern in Hungary.

Is there not a case for the Bernard Matthews 'farm' to remain unpopulated and be closed down for good?
  2. Wouldn't have thought so... Their standards of welfare are probably no worse (and actually rather better) than most of the intensive breeders/factories producing cheap poultry for the multiples...

If it's still legal then others would just step into the breach and provide the meat.
  3. If Bernard Matthews has been found to be producing Turkeys of Mass Destruction I think we should invade Norfolk without delay.
  4. Flu-tiful
  5. Except the cheap poultry in question isn't really poultry but 40% water and other additives :mad:
  6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

To answer the question; Well, no. Where on earth would I get my mini kievs from?
  7. At the moment nowhere! :banned:
  8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Um...was being a bit facetious mate. Sorry.
  9. Accepted, but the 'poultry' that replaced it would be exactly the same! To be fair to BM some of their produce is proper meat (whole turkeys, crowns et al), though wouldn't shed too many tears if Drummers, Twizzlers et al disappeared for good!

They did change the 'recipe' for Twizzlers after the Jamie Oliver programmes, so they are significantly less NaCl-laden, but still wouldn't catch me eating one!
  10. Same difference between free range turkey and BM fare as there is between Real Ale and chemical beer.
  11. Get to Morrisons for cheap Bernard Mathews stuff at the moment. Lots of 2 for 1 offers. Just right for late evening snacks. Especially after the pub.

But make sure SWMBO cooks them. Cos we all know what were like when pissEd
  12. Read the opening post...mmmmm?..lentil eater came to the other posts from Weissbeer.. confirmed my suspicion... A liberal, lentil eating, tree hugging Guardian reader!
    Anything as ugly as a turkey deserves to be killed and eaten...pity we can't do the same Guardian readers
  13. I wouldn't cry a tear to see the reconstituted mess that they sell as food thrown into the fiery pits.

Have stopped eating any foodstuff that contains ingredients ending in '-ase' or that have been replaced entirely by an alphanumeric code.
  14. I remember coming home a little merry one night and finding a bag of Twizzlers in the freezer. I cooked a bunch of them up, and I have to say as drunk food I thought they were rather nice.

It was just that in the morning, on top of the hangover feeling, I had a really nasty headache that I am sure was caused by the tat that they pump into them.