Should ALL police officers be routinely armed (with tazer)

Should Police be armed with Tazer routinely...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After coming across this article on Facebook i was divided on the concept on police officers being issued with tazer weapons, routinely including all Specials and Regulars.

Should they all be armed? Should just one in 2 of them be armed in foot patrols subject to budgets? Should it be allocated on a case by case or an area basis?

Let's not forget the sad misuse of it in an incident against their own race relations advisor...

Case study: Thames Valley - horrific woodland attack

PC Lucie Chhetri and PC John Donovan were subjected to a horrifc attack in a remote rural spot in West Berkshire.

Their attacker - an intoxicated man accompanied by a young child - had driven into a ditch. The officers tried to help, but in a split second he turned into a “complete maniac”. PC Chhetri had her head smashed against a police car and her colleague was also punched repeatedly.

She said: “There were no signs, no body language clues – he went from zero to 100 in the blink of an eye. We sprayed him with Captor but it had no effect, he was like a raging bull.”

Back-up was 20 minutes away and the radio controller had poor local knowledge. Both officers feared for their lives. Later an ambulance took 40 minutes to arrive as it was diverted to another job. The suspect left with the injured offcers following a safe distance behind.

He was eventually arrested by officers from neighbouring Hampshire and appeared in court a year later. He denied the assaults but body worn video footage revealed the truth and he was jailed for two years.

PC Chhetri believes they got a good result in court but feels that if either officer had been carrying a Taser, they may have been able to subdue the offender without being assaulted.

PC O’Donovan (since promoted to sergeant), described the incident as like “something out of a horror movie”. He had to walk into hospital in front of members of the public in a muddied police uniform with injuries on display. The encounter has left him with recurring nightmares which he will be dealing with for some time.

He recalls: “The man was on the rampage – intent on causing serious harm. He was a lot stronger than me. He literally held me down and rained blows of immense force towards my head. He seemed to take great pleasure in inflicting this pain and I really didn’t think he was going to stop."

PC O'Donovan said his wife was devastated: “She talked about what would have happened if things had been worse and I had not come home to her and our baby. She wants me to leave policing as she feels that it is not safe.”

Police assaults

Assaults on police officers are sadly commonplace. Our latest welfare survey data suggests there were more than two million unarmed physical assaults on officers over 12 months, and a further 302,842 assaults using a deadly weapon during the same period. These figures estimate that an assault on a police officer happens every four minutes.

To assault a police officer, prison officer, or other emergency service worker is to attack society itself and should never be accepted as ‘part of the job’. Together with our partners, the British Transport Police Federation and Prison Officers’ Association, and supporters, we are campaigning for:

• a change in legislation
  • tougher sentences
  • better training and access to equipment
  • more accurate data on police assaults
  • improved welfare support
  • more consistent reporting of assaults on emergency services (as these are vastly under reported)
  • training and access to body-worn video, Taser and spit and bite guards

Last edited:
No, been done, see threads passim.

Mrs May said about 3 years ago there wasn't enought money, there certainly isn't now.

Next.

There are only two places on this planet where the police are not routinely armed. Here and New Zealand. I quite like where I live, for that reason.
I believe the NZ plod have the guns in the car though don't they, and can self-authorise to draw?

Or perhaps you should think about ditching the idea of hiring diversity qualified graduates and find a few firm but fair types who've been around a bit. It would also help if management gave them the support they require when they find themselves in a situation where putting the boot in is the only option to contain a situation.

Nice idea, but it will never happen. Not least because there simply isn't the money to pay for it.

Also, you could pile up the bodies of coppers and civilians murdered by violent criminals and terrorists in front of Downing Street and the government still wouldn't make significant changes. Ministers and Politicians work in one of the safest, most secure areas in the UK. As far as they are concerned, violent crime is an intellectual problem to be solved, not something that effects them personally. Except on the rare occasions, such as the murder of Jo Cox. Which resulted in spending on protection for MP's more than doubling in one year.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Nice idea, but it will never happen. Not least because there simply isn't the money to pay for it.

Also, you could pile up the bodies of coppers and civilians murdered by violent criminals and terrorists in front of Downing Street and the government still wouldn't make significant changes. Ministers and Politicians work in one of the safest, most secure areas in the UK. As far as they are concerned, violent crime is an intellectual problem to be solved, not something that effects them personally. Except on the rare occasions, such as the murder of Jo Cox. Which resulted in spending on protection for MP's more than doubling in one year.

Well the Home secretary Sajid Javid got his phone nicked by a moped gang! I know it's not violent crime...

Oi Mush.

I trademarked that rant. Get your own!

Don't give the authorisation to local commanders, here around 79-80 when the PP was still standard issue, the Ruger was just being brought in , one Divisional Commander insisted that the Walther was to be carried in the issue shoulder holster, designed for the Enfield, UNDER the tunic, under the flak jacket , really useful when a beat was attacked by a gunman !

Don't give the authorisation to local commanders, here around 79-80 when the PP was still standard issue, the Ruger was just being brought in , one Divisional Commander insisted that the Walther was to be carried in the issue shoulder holster, designed for the Enfield, UNDER the tunic, under the flak jacket , really useful when a beat was attacked by a gunman !

There's times, when the old ways are the best.........

Yes. Only if the officers certified to carry them are tased first. As part of their training.
No!

When only carrying a truncheon we did not have to be welly'ed with truncheon.

When Monadnocks were issued we were not hit with those either.

When PAVA/CS spray was issued a noise was made about "yeah you need to be sprayed to experience it". No, actually you are not required to and quite a few choose not to.

And, the biggy, just because firearms are issued you do not need to be shot to know it is not healthy for you.

There is a macho culture in the US where they tell recruits that they need to be tased as part of their certification. Macho in many cases and not required, same with the US Air force Security Police, voluntary and not required.

Back to the theme of the Thread: Yes, give them taser's. But, give them lots of training and accountability to go with it too - as there are those who will abuse the situation.

Or perhaps you should think about ditching the idea of hiring diversity qualified graduates and find a few firm but fair types who've been around a bit. It would also help if management gave them the support they require when they find themselves in a situation where putting the boot in is the only option to contain a situation.
Now. Stop being sensible and highlighting the responsible course of action.
HMG will NEVER go along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.