Should a single Mum occupy a 6 bedroomed house?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by very-old-git, Mar 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I attach an editorial from the Manchester Evening News of last week highlighting a certain ex soldiers dilemma. Does she warrant anything more than she is entitled to and NEEDS ?. Why does being offered a house a short distance away from family mean bad news? - why does being offered a house previously used by drug takers constitute a problem? Why should she be able to have something that many hundreds deserve and need?. Answers please because I am confused.
  2. Depends how long she has been the rent payer.

Regardless of service, a six bed council house IS too big for her if she has only been the rent payer for less than the "right to buy" scheme allows.

If she HAS been the rent payer for LONGER than the "righ to buy" scheme needs, then the size of the house is irelevant, she has the right to buy.

Seen as the news story doesn't clarify either, I would guess that she took over the rent from her mother, hasn't been the rent payer for the correct amount of time and therefore has not got the right to buy the property. If I am wrong and she has had it long enough, take it all the way to the Lords.
  3. The way she is using her Mil service to try and further her own ends is annoying.
  4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Whilst I understand why she would be upset at losing what has been herhome and I could well understand why she would not want to be moved to a scum bag area if that is what she is being offered I think she has to accept that at the end of the day the property is not hers and if she wants a 6 bedroom house she will have to buy one - like I would. No doubt she can't afford one and neither can I.

That said WTF does the council need 6 bedroom houses for. Perhaps she should be allowed to keep it - I'd prefer the idea of her in it than the sort of scrounging oxygen thieves who are going to end up with it. Think of the crowd who recently lost and found their daughter.
  5. she should be made to live in a shoe... end of..

I'm outraged.
  6. we have 507 homeless families with 5 children or more, against a single female who wants to adopt children to give them a better start in life..

is this the result of the sale of Housing in public ownership..
    It is about time that local authorities started to build houses again and the mortgages for rental homes was banned..

New Labour my ARRSE
  7. I'm firmly against that as these Chavs who love to spend their whole life on benifits will be getting nice new homes at the cost of the tax payer. Stick them in any old shithole

If we went back to Ex-Military being able to settle anywhere and acrue points towards council housing and right to buy as a result of their service then i would be all for it.
  8. The MoD home left empty for 11 years
    By Angus Crawford
    BBC News

A BBC News investigation recently reported that more than 2,400 homes leased by the military have been vacant for more than 12 months.

One of those homes - paid for by the Ministry of Defence - is a family house in Hertfordshire that has stood empty for more than 11 years.

The white paint around the front door is starting to peel, but the garden is tidy and the window frames have recently been replaced.

The house is in Bushey, north of London. It has four bedrooms and is built in red brick.

Looking through the sitting room window, there are no curtains or carpets. The paint looks fresh - it seems in good condition.

But the property has been empty for more than 4,278 days.

That means the MoD has been paying rent, council tax and maintenance for more than 11 years and eight months.

"I find it quite shameful," says a neighbour who has just left the military. He doesn't want to give his name.

"It does upset me, when they could offer it to ex-military or the local civilian population."

He says there has been a lot of burglaries and vandalism locally and the majority of houses on this road are empty.

You don't feel safe in your own home because you're worried about vandalism and fly tipping
    Melanie Pullan The Army Families Federation

"People are phoning up about the communal effect of empty properties," says Melanie Pullan, from the Army Families Federation.

She feels they encourage anti-social behaviour and damage morale.

"There might be a garrison with 600 heads of family away. You don't feel safe in your own home because you're worried about vandalism and fly-tipping.

"That makes the six months of a tour on your own even more difficult to cope with."

Homes sold

The military sold off almost all its family homes in England and Wales in 1996. It rents back about 40,000 from Annington Homes Ltd.

Earlier this month BBC News learned that 2,410 of those had been empty for longer than a year, 104 for more than a decade.

The MoD admits it does have too many empty properties, but says it is actively working to reduce the number.

Worldwide it has 12,000 so-called "voids" - properties without tenants - with the UK-wide figure about 9,000. In England and Wales the figure is about 7,500.

Officials point out there are 15,000 house-moves by armed forces personnel each year - both back from abroad and within the UK.

To cope, some homes need to be kept vacant.

Most, the government insists, only for a short period of time.

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2008/03/24 17:45:13 GMT

9. to quote Dinger,
    "I'm firmly against that as these Chavs who love to spend their whole life on benifits will be getting nice new homes at the cost of the tax payer. Stick them in any old shithole"

So their kids become Chaves, and their grandchildren, with 12 to 15 years between generations, if things dont change thats a lot of overcrowded shitholes, needing a lot of plod with big sticks to keep them there.
  10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I do agree with you on this. Children should not be punished for the 'sins' of the parents. Any decent society should not allow children to be brought up in poverty.

The only problem is unless they are seperated from the generation that is spawning them then they are going to be brought up in poverty of spirit however well off the tax payer makes them, and spawn thier own generations of useless mouths.

Neither way is the answer, I just don't know what is...
  11. Should a single Mum occupy a 6 bedroomed house?

Only if I live there.

I have been known to take the place of five men.

Yes. I am that BIG!
  12. If she is big enough, why not!