Shoting Star

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by old_angle_iron, Sep 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just seen the brightest meteor that I have seen in years. It started in the north-east and went right across the sky to the north west
  2. Which area are you in because I have just seen one incredibly low travelling east to west.
  3. Saw it here - east to west looking south in the Scottish Borders
  4. It was Iron Duke and myself testing out our new space rocket.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. I am in Lincolnshire looking North
  6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Buggers that find that will make a fortune (if its hit land that is)
  7. Must've been some shower as I'm in the West of Scotland at the moment and when I say low I mean at house height! I thought some prat had let off a flare.
  8. Fek me, finally someone else who saw it!

I was on my way home from work, just coming into nearby village, it seemed to be coming head on to me, and at first i thought it was the landing light of an aircraft, as Sherburn airfields just by, but it got brighter and brighter, then as it 'passed' me, it was breaking up! About 30sec later i'd managed to stop the car and get out, and i could still see it breaking up on the horizon! Went east to west from my view, to the north of me, here in Yorkshire

Ive NEVER seen a meteor/bolide that bright and slow, i recon that was a re-entering satellite!

9. Was heading towards the sea when I saw it and not a lot of height left.
  10. Son saw what could have been it breaking up again east west, North Down, several bits.
  11. From posts so far, it passed over the uk somewhere over the north penines/dales/cumbria.

To me it looked like a plane at 1000ft in sherburns circuit, about 1mile from where i was, so if anyone can extrapolate that angle to the likely height it really was, they'l be able to find what part of the UK it was directly over!
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

The Rapid Ariel Photonic Evacuator is not a space rocket. It is a rapid transit system. Will you pack it in with the space rocket shite? You will get us a bad name.

Your turn for Sunday lunch. I need to be off by 15.00. I've got the leek club then tea with the vicar.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Not very fekin rapid if you ask me, and if its gonna fall apart like that every time, i'll take the bus!

One thing though, ARRSE has beaten the astro nerds, this isnt even breaking news on the SPA forum yet! Fek knows what the astronomers were doing to miss that!
  14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Anyone here a "boom"? if so its broken up, if not it could have made landfall in one or several large pieces. Worth more than its weight in gold!!!!

hear not here, I'm pissed
    • Like Like x 1