Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Shotguns-show us your kit

Various options for stock extensions..

D699502D-4B64-47D1-A9D9-892113D45A92.jpeg
9CA74010-1584-4C2F-90B8-196A0C788D55.jpeg
6C9C24DD-65CF-4381-8626-65E200D4FF7A.jpeg
09C78F19-F149-42CE-974E-543C93FF110C.jpeg

You could just have the heel pad replaced.

How does the gun fit you? If you want to add a bit of length, you could either whack on a kick eez pad with some spacers, which is black and less offensive than that orange thing.

Other nice option is a solid vulcanite extension. So you’ll just have an inch or so on the back of the stock that is shiny polished black and blends seamlessly with the stock shape.

These look pretty sweet when done properly.

If you need to change the cast or bend you’re looking at quite a bit of work.

If it was my gun, I’d re-black the barrels and furniture (top lever, trigger bow and pins) as @ugly suggests, polish up the wood (if a nicer stock is unavailable) and stick a vulcanite extension on it.
Ravers is on the money here.

I am just in the process of doing a bit of remedial work on an old AYA sxs, I bought it from an auction some months ago for £10, it needed a makeover but is otherwise sound. I stripped and Tru oiled the wood, stripped and cold blued the barrels. The first go at blueing was a failure, streaks despite numerous degreasings wearing rubber gloves etc. Second attempt, I stripped it back, bunged it in the dishwasher and after two coats (if that is the right term) it has come out streak free and looking good. Just about to wire Wool the wood again and add another coat. It is a nothing gun but at a tenner it will get someone started and will be a nice farm gun.

A mate made a cold blue tank out of drain pipe, well he tried but his brushwork was exceptional and if I remember I will ask him what he used for degreasing, it funking well honked but worked a treat. We put together an old muzzle loader sxs from rubbish into display condition for a pub wall hanger!

I doubt the dishwasher is an approved method but it did the trick, it was my first go at cold blueing, having seen the results that can be had, I will try a few more bits :bounce:

Oh, at the last auction, (Southern Counties Auctioneers, Netherhampton Salerooms, Sporting Goods Sale) a H&H went for £5500 and a 16 bore Westley Richards for £3500 I think, still loads of English sxs going out of the door for £5-10, a crying shame

Last edited:
Best guy in the country (ergo the world) for barrel bluing / browning is Ron Johnson in Uxbridge.

He only deals with the trade though but if you know someone he might sort you out.

Very very nice man and exceptional craftsmanship. His family have been doing all the barrels for the entire London trade for about 80 years.

Every single Purdey, H&H, Boss, Watson etc made in about the past 40 years has been through his very capable hands.

Just been fitting a holo type reflex sight to a clients gun, his choice, easy £20 for tightening up 4 allen keys. Mid you he has finger so fat they make mine look like a concert pianist! Its called a fiber sight, he reckons it works.
IMG_20180622_173236.jpg
IMG_20180622_173236.jpg

Thanks all for the input. I might just bugger around with the stock & foregrip myself, as it'll cost nothing & I can always replace if unhappy.
The bluing I'll have done by someone who can't 'accidentally' produce phosgene from domestic chemicals...
1oops.gif

Couple of questions chaps...

What is a Holo sight and why would you put it on a shotgun, what is the client using the shotgun for?

But the real question... I have lots of choke tubes, both Teague and OEM. Most of them will shoot loose after a while and some need tightening after every stand. I reduced the amount of grease I applied to them, and that helped but hasn't fixed the problem. I have contemplated using Loctite Threadlock or something similar to fix them in place - in the belief that Threadlock will stop the chokes vibrating loose, but will still allow them to be removed with the usual hand force.

Anyone else have this problem and found a solution for it? Ay recommendations?

Couple of questions chaps...

What is a Holo sight and why would you put it on a shotgun, what is the client using the shotgun for?

But the real question... I have lots of choke tubes, both Teague and OEM. Most of them will shoot loose after a while and some need tightening after every stand. I reduced the amount of grease I applied to them, and that helped but hasn't fixed the problem. I have contemplated using Loctite Threadlock or something similar to fix them in place - in the belief that Threadlock will stop the chokes vibrating loose, but will still allow them to be removed with the usual hand force.

Anyone else have this problem and found a solution for it? Ay recommendations?
Loctite 222 may stop them moving but then again the heat may cause the Loctite to give up , a difficult one , maybe talk to Teague ?