• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Shotguns-show us your kit

I have just returned from my local gun shop (picked up a rather nice autumn / light winter jacket). I was asking about 725's and 692's and getting confirmation as to whether I can try them once I get my ticket (which I can).

Anyway, whilst we were talking, he takes a look at me and says "with your build, I doubt you will get on with many Italian guns, so you will probably be best with a 725 for 2-3 years till you start to specialize".

Have I just been called a chubster? :)

I have just returned from my local gun shop (picked up a rather nice autumn / light winter jacket). I was asking about 725's and 692's and getting confirmation as to whether I can try them once I get my ticket (which I can).

Anyway, whilst we were talking, he takes a look at me and says "with your build, I doubt you will get on with many Italian guns, so you will probably be best with a 725 for 2-3 years till you start to specialize".

Well Tubby you are lucky they will let you try guns off site , most wont, I doubt that goes with new guns though.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

The guy is talking shite. There is no standard size for Italian guns and on average they are no smaller / larger than English, Spanish, Turkish or any other guns. Most Italian guns have stocks that can be purchased in a range of different sizes.

Get a professional gun fit, it’ll cost a couple of hundred quid but it’ll be the best money you’ve ever spent with regards to shooting. Once you know your measurements you’ll be able to look for guns that have stock measurements that are in the correct ball park.

Depending on your size, 14.5” stock length is about average for all guns regardless of origin. So if you’ve got particularly long arms you’ll want something more. I’m 6’2”, average build and 15” ish give or take a 1/4” works nicely for me.

If you’ve got wide shoulders and a long neck you’ll also need a bit more bend (vertical measurement of stock from centre) and cast (horizontal measurement from centre).

Kofs are a new Turkish name, reasonable looking and prices start at just under the £400 mark. KOFS Shotguns
I suspect that they are jumping on the bandwagon, provided they work and last I cant see a problem with using one on the farm. Lets face it even at £500 you would pay three times that for a good used Beretta 686. I would however consider Marocchi as they are excellent guns, Italian made and the auto is really rather good Marocchi
If your paying £1500 for a used 686 your paying wayyyyyy too much (you can get a new Onyx for that money). Depending on model I’d be looking to pay about £800 for a sporter. The stocks on the older ones (not sure about the new ones) can have a habit of splitting near to the grip though and a replacement is circa £300+ as they never seem to repair that well on the ones I’ve seen.

Used Beretta and Browning’s are a no brainer second hand if you can shoot them as if you get them at the right money you won’t lose anything if you decide to sell them on a few years down the line.

Last edited:
The guy is talking shite. There is no standard size for Italian guns and on average they are no smaller / larger than English, Spanish, Turkish or any other guns. Most Italian guns have stocks that can be purchased in a range of different sizes.

Get a professional gun fit, it’ll cost a couple of hundred quid but it’ll be the best money you’ve ever spent with regards to shooting. Once you know your measurements you’ll be able to look for guns that have stock measurements that are in the correct ball park.

Depending on your size, 14.5” stock length is about average for all guns regardless of origin. So if you’ve got particularly long arms you’ll want something more. I’m 6’2”, average build and 15” ish give or take a 1/4” works nicely for me.

If you’ve got wide shoulders and a long neck you’ll also need a bit more bend (vertical measurement of stock from centre) and cast (horizontal measurement from centre).
Thank you Ravers, that is great advice. Can you recommend anyone in the South East (ideally Berkshire area) to do a gun fit? Nearest to me according to google is DM Shooting, Farnborough. But I will happily travel for someone recommended. There is also the West London Shooting School at Northolt which is not too far away.

Edit: I have just read a piece online about gun fitting and it said that one of the signs of bad fit was a bruised cheek.
A couple of weeks ago when I did a 100 clay shoot with the 725 that I felt that I really got on well with, it felt like I had been in a pub fight the day after.

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thank you Ravers, that is great advice. Can you recommend anyone in the South East (ideally Berkshire area) to do a gun fit? Nearest to me according to google is DM Shooting, Farnborough. But I will happily travel for someone recommended.

Edit: I have just read a piece online about gun fitting and it said that one of the signs of bad fit was a bruised cheek.
A couple of weeks ago when I did a 100 clay shoot with the 725 that I felt that I really got on well with, it felt like I had been in a pub fight the day after.
West London Shooting School, Holland & Holland Shooting Ground and Royal Berkshire shooting school are all in your general neck of the woods.

I highly recommend WLSS. They used to do all the gunfits for us at Purdeys.

West London Shooting School, Holland & Holland Shooting Ground and Royal Berkshire shooting school are all in your general neck of the woods.

I highly recommend WLSS. They used to do all the gunfits for us at Purdeys.
Brilliant thank you. I have just booked a gun fit with them for £129.
3 days before I should get my license so this could be an expensive month :) Hopefully.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Brilliant thank you. I have just booked a gun fit with them for £129.
3 days before I should get my license so this could be an expensive month :) Hopefully.
It’s a good day out. You’ll learn a lot and it should massively improve your shooting.

AYA 25inch barrel I think a "XXV". Bought as a "sod it I want something different".....I did then panic each time I looked at it wondering if I'd done the right thing once at home.

AYA 25inch barrel I think a "XXV". Bought as a "sod it I want something different".....I did then panic each time I looked at it wondering if I'd done the right thing once at home.
Looks a nice gun mate..

Can you hit anything with it?

Single trigger on a side by side......(sucks in big gulp of air through teeth).

Keep it clean (as in proper post season strip down) because they can be very temperamental.
How do you rate the Beretta parallelo side by side.?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How do you rate the Beretta parallelo side by side.?
Nice guns. Same as all Berettas. Does what it says on the tin.

It’s basically an Anson & Deeley boxlock and built to the same quality as the silver pigeon so should work forever. The trigger is a more modern spring loaded bob weight like on their OUs.

@hickys AYA is a copy of an H&H Royal Hammerless ejector which is a considerably more complicated design.