Shotguns-show us your kit

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
******, we know the truth
Nah, it’s exactly what I’ve been looking for to be honest. Nice traditional old sxs for the grouse. Not bothered that it’s not an ejector. I catch the empties and put them in my pocket anyway.

Cheers again.

Last edited:
Eh?

1. Why would you polish the hammers? They’re polished from new in the factory.

2. Even if you did how would it make the gun pack up unless you’d removed loads of metal?

Genuinely intrigued.
When I first started shooting I was given the shotgun on my first job . 1966
I was well pleased it was my job twice a day to make as much noise as I could in some woods on the boss,s land . Foot and mouth was around and at the time and birds took a thump of a bashing .
After the first day after showing me how to use it. He told me to keep it clean. I did
I took it apart the hammers where made of two "brass" triangles I cleaned it to with brasso and rag I even took a stick to rub hard . It was not that hard to take apart from what I remember. But only one side sometimes cocked. I was given a blunderbus it was that that gave me my hobby of today. The bell was only small but what a row . :)

ugly

LE
Did you see the
SOLD
5,000.00USDto f***r+ (1,050.00) buyer's premium. + applicable fees & taxes. , `kin ell!
A mate works out there, former purdey apprentice and the yanks love him

Last edited:

ugly

LE

ugly

LE
Regarding shotguns.
I know it'll cost far more than the gun itself is worth (which isn't the point of the exercise & I'm imagining £1,000 to be the starting figure) but I'd like to get the Beretta SxS renovated. by this I mean fully serviced, barrels refinished & stock/foregrip refurbished/replaced & adjusted to suit me.
Any pointers as to who to contact?

Regarding shotguns.
I know it'll cost far more than the gun itself is worth (which isn't the point of the exercise & I'm imagining £1,000 to be the starting figure) but I'd like to get the Beretta SxS renovated. by this I mean fully serviced, barrels refinished & stock/foregrip refurbished/replaced & adjusted to suit me.
Just out of interest what model is it ?

ugly

LE
Regarding shotguns.
Elderkins although they sub out barrel blueing allegedly

Elderkins although they sub out barrel blueing allegedly
Ta much.
So long as the bluing's to a good standard I'm not too worried who does it.
I'll be over there hopefully before Christmas, so will contact them beforehand to arrange a discussion & fitting.

I have a 12 gauge Parker bros Side by side - I think it’s dated 1906 and has Damascus steel in the barrels, but it’s faded pretty bad and has no stock.

Also a 12 gauge Winchester 1300 - with 18” ‘security’ barrel. Kicks like a mule.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Regarding shotguns.
If the Beretta is a standard Anson & Deeley style boxlock (which it looks like), you may be able to find a stock off another gun that can be gently persuaded to fit.

This will be loads cheaper than having a new stock made in the correct size.

Also no offence, but the wood on that is pretty horrible. I’ve seen more figuring on a cricket bat.

Find a nice English A&D style stock and see if it fits.

As for the rest. You can definitely save a few quid if you tackle some of the low skilled jobs yourself.

To get the old bluing off the barrels spray with Cillit Bang and leave it for a few minutes. The blue will just rub off. Do this a few times.

Then polish with very fine sandpaper until they’re a mirror finish. The more work put in here, the better the end result will be.

Similar deal with the wood, rub it down with fine sandpaper until it’s smooth and all the old finish is gone. There is a product called London Range gunstock finish which is basically the actual stuff we use in the trade.

Can’t seem to find a website but they’re on instagram.

I wouldn’t **** with the action unless you really know what you’re doing.

ugly

LE
Ta much.
So long as the bluing's to a good standard I'm not too worried who does it.
I'll be over there hopefully before Christmas, so will contact them beforehand to arrange a discussion & fitting.
Bloody good but consider putting all blued parts in so its an even match

ugly

LE
If the Beretta is a standard Anson & Deeley style boxlock (which it looks like), you may be able to find a stock off another gun that can be gently persuaded to fit.

This will be loads cheaper than having a new stock made in the correct size.

Also no offence, but the wood on that is pretty horrible. I’ve seen more figuring on a cricket bat.

Find a nice English A&D style stock and see if it fits.

As for the rest. You can definitely save a few quid if you tackle some of the low skilled jobs yourself.

To get the old bluing off the barrels spray with Cillit Bang and leave it for a few minutes. The blue will just rub off. Do this a few times.

Then polish with very fine sandpaper until they’re a mirror finish. The more work put in here, the better the end result will be.

Similar deal with the wood, rub it down with fine sandpaper until it’s smooth and all the old finish is gone. There is a product called London Range gunstock finish which is basically the actual stuff we use in the trade.

Can’t seem to find a website but they’re on instagram.

I wouldn’t **** with the action unless you really know what you’re doing.
I'm wondering if he meant fore end rather than stock?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No; the stock, as it looks to have been shortened in order to fit the nasty looking recoil pad.
You could just have the heel pad replaced.

How does the gun fit you? If you want to add a bit of length, you could either whack on a kick eez pad with some spacers, which is black and less offensive than that orange thing.

Other nice option is a solid vulcanite extension. So you’ll just have an inch or so on the back of the stock that is shiny polished black and blends seamlessly with the stock shape.

These look pretty sweet when done properly.

If you need to change the cast or bend you’re looking at quite a bit of work.

If it was my gun, I’d re-black the barrels and furniture (top lever, trigger bow and pins) as @ugly suggests, polish up the wood (if a nicer stock is unavailable) and stick a vulcanite extension on it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EX_STAB Sports, Adventure Training and Events 5
sniper_bob The NAAFI Bar 70
ugly Infantry 59