Shotguns-show us your kit

Just picked up my new grouse gun today from our very own @ugly.

It’s an old Westley Richards circa 1880. 28” Nitro proofed Damascus barrels. Box Lock Non-Ejector. Balances perfectly 1/4” forward of the crosspin (as all best guns should). 15” very well figured walnut stock.

It’s an absolute beaut. I’ll probably blue the pins, top lever and trigger bow when I can be arsed which is how it would’ve been when new.

Otherwise perfect.

Top tip: check out Westley Richards’ instagram page for some utterly stunning gun photography.

View attachment 338671 View attachment 338672 View attachment 338673 View attachment 338674 View attachment 338675 View attachment 338676 View attachment 338677 View attachment 338678 View attachment 338679
Another one here , perhaps not as nice as yours WR

I'll be on the lookout for a clay gun in a few months time.

I have had a go with a F16 so far and that was very nice to shoot with. But I'll try a few more before making my first purchase.
..Is that not a little expensive in fuel and 20mm cannon shells?

A tad excessive even for Olympic Trap I would have thought?

Anyone any good at proof marks?

Just trying to make heads or tails of the ones on the Westley Richards.

In one corner it’s got LP74. Is this London Proof 1974? I’m a little rusty.

I expect this maybe when it got Nitro Proofed. It’s got the usual saracen’s swords with NP on it.

It’s also got 2 1/2” 3 tons on it. As well as the number 740” which I’m guessing means 740 bar.

Cartridges and pressures aren’t my strong point. I’m just trying to work out what’s safe to chuck down it.

I’m guessing from the proof marks that any 2 1/2” cartridges under 740 bar are OK (so any 2 1/2” CIP cartridges basically).

Just wanna be sure.
740 bar is 4.8 tons than 3 so possibly the 740 has another meaning.

Might be an idea to photograph the proof marks & email London Proof House or call them.
richard.mabbitt@gunmakers.org.uk
0207 481 2695
They do a booklet detailing all the marks.

ugly

LE
Glad you like it Ravers, the beer was lovely!

ugly

LE
The gun is easily worth what he paid and a bit more, its a bit of a niche, not the sort of general knockabout gun you would take for anything but deserving of a new life where it will be used and cared for.

ugly

LE
Ugly. .tsk tsk weapons and alcohol don't mix :p
You've obviously never been to a driven shoot! Some are a drinks party interspersed with shooting

You've obviously never been to a driven shoot! Some are a drinks party interspersed with shooting
I was beating in Knutsford as a 14 year old a shotgun pellet went into my welly and bust my ankle. Best part of it I had no idea about it until later

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some better pics of the Westley Richards.

I really really like this gun. Can’t wait for the season.

595007B2-6E2D-4A8D-A9B7-5F6A606A7CB3.jpeg
3E0B508D-8542-4A3E-AC3E-B142A8FA9368.jpeg
21CF0E04-36C1-4398-8A61-A332733DBC4D.jpeg

I made the mistake of polishing the internal hammers on one of mine .It would not work for me.
I like external hammers. I took it down to the gunsmith in Whitby he knew what I had done. Never again .

ugly

LE

ugly

LE

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To be fair Americans pay stupid money for stuff like that. The problem is getting the guns out there.

Reckon your price was a little under for the UK but not much. If you’d stuck it through Holts you probably would’ve got the same after they’d dicked you for commission.

ugly

LE
To be fair Americans pay stupid money for stuff like that. The problem is getting the guns out there.

Reckon your price was a little under for the UK but not much. If you’d stuck it through Holts you probably would’ve got the same after they’d dicked you for commission.
And the rest, and glad it's in a good home really

ugly

LE

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I made the mistake of polishing the internal hammers on one of mine .It would not work for me.
I like external hammers. I took it down to the gunsmith in Whitby he knew what I had done. Never again .
Eh?

1. Why would you polish the hammers? They’re polished from new in the factory.

2. Even if you did how would it make the gun pack up unless you’d removed loads of metal?

Genuinely intrigued.