Shotguns-show us your kit

Mick9abf

War Hero
Purchase of an air gun at the same time will let the younger lad carry something, learn muzzle safety, open and prove gun etc at the same time but that’s just my tuppenceworth
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
That’s already in hand in the form of my old Weihrauch’s :wink:.

jmb3296

War Hero
I didn't know where to post this. This seems the best place in terms of audience relevance.
An interesting idea.

Interesting idea and a nice price of engineering certainly but looks cumbersome and clunky and would certainly throw the dun out of balance.

I have never seen that concept before and suspect that example is a prototype.

Thanks for sharing it.

Last edited:
I didn't know where to post this. This seems the best place in terms of audience relevance.
An interesting idea.

Very interesting, I bet that would get the FEO twitching a bit. Section 2 or 1? ;-)

jmb3296

War Hero
Proof question on opening out choke. Apologies if asked elsewhere already.

Son has a modern Spanish side by side and we are looking at opening out the chokes from full and full to half and half, to allow it to take non hp steel shot.
The price for someone who knows what they are doing sounds reasonable, but, does the gun need reproofed afterwards? The additional cost of that would probably make opening the chokes out uneconomic on this gun and restrict it to lead or bismuth.
Advice and thoughts welcome.

4(T)

LE

Son has a modern Spanish side by side and we are looking at opening out the chokes from full and full to half and half, to allow it to take non hp steel shot.
The price for someone who knows what they are doing sounds reasonable, but, does the gun need reproofed afterwards? The additional cost of that would probably make opening the chokes out uneconomic on this gun and restrict it to lead or bismuth.

I'm not a shotgun expert, but my interpretation of prrof regulations would be that, yes, it requires re-proof - as a pressure bearing part has been altered.

I suspect, though, that many shotguns have had their chokes altered and not been resubmitted for proof.

jmb3296

War Hero
I'm not a shotgun expert, but my interpretation of prrof regulations would be that, yes, it requires re-proof - as a pressure bearing part has been altered.

I suspect, though, that many shotguns have had their chokes altered and not been resubmitted for proof.
Almost certainly. My AYA no.2 shoots beautifully through it’s 26 inch barrels and is great for snap shooting.
On checking the choke it is true cylinder and true cylinder. I suspect it may have started life with longer barrels, I won’t be giving it up any time soon though.

4(T)

LE
Almost certainly. My AYA no.2 shoots beautifully through it’s 26 inch barrels and is great for snap shooting.
On checking the choke it is true cylinder and true cylinder. I suspect it may have started life with longer barrels, I won’t be giving it up any time soon though.
I'd take the gun to the chap offering to do the work. The onus is then on him to deal with it. I'd assume that the "reasonable price" includes all necessary legalities....

jmb3296

War Hero
I'd take the gun to the chap offering to do the work. The onus is then on him to deal with it. I'd assume that the "reasonable price" includes all necessary legalities....
I haven’t spoken to the chap who would open the chokes. I took advice from my rfd who were going to put it to a chap to do it and gave the price.

They came back today to say it would need reproofed and that would be in addition to oreviously discussed price.

We are now inclined to not open it up at all until the lad has saved up his pennies and decided if he is content to use it with lead meantime and then bismuth on high days and holidays.

Bodenplatte

War Hero
Strictly speaking, a gun only legally needs to be reproofed if alterations have been made and the gun is offered for sale, exchange, or is pawned.
Most gunsmiths and dealers will insist upon reproofing even though the gun is not being sold. In my experience they do this for three main reasons:

1. They believe it to be the case
2. Having the gun satisfactorily reproofed would help them avoid liability in the event of a failure of the component.
3. It makes sense to have a gun reproofed when work is done in order to ensure that an out of proof gun is not inadvertently sold etc at some future point.

jmb3296

War Hero
Strictly speaking, a gun only legally needs to be reproofed if alterations have been made and the gun is offered for sale, exchange, or is pawned.
Most gunsmiths and dealers will insist upon reproofing even though the gun is not being sold. In my experience they do this for three main reasons:

1. They believe it to be the case
2. Having the gun satisfactorily reproofed would help them avoid liability in the event of a failure of the component.
3. It makes sense to have a gun reproofed when work is done in order to ensure that an out of proof gun is not inadvertently sold etc at some future point.
Thank you. I think your logic here is bang on

skeetstar

Old-Salt

I had my mk38 trap gun modified to accept tague thin wall chokes, and that had to be re proofed. Yours is a slightly different job, but I'd have said yes it needs reproofing.

Interesting idea and a nice price of engineering certainly but looks cumbersome and clunky and would certainly throw the dun out of balance.

I have never seen that concept before and suspect that example is a prototype.

Thanks for sharing it.
Very good point. It would make for an uncomfortable hold.
19010350_4_lg.jpeg

I have let a few things off in a vice, just put a new nipple and bore scope down all clear, but I don't have the same feeling this time to see it let off,