Shotguns-show us your kit

triggerigger

War Hero
Nice, 7+1?
Yes 7+1 3 chamber 28 in.
My first semi in civvy St. That rifle was a while ago so I'll have to learn it's behavior. Will need to drop the stock with shim then get out the farm and pattern it. Then the apple test!
_20191231_192223.JPG

skeetstar

Old-Salt
I the vein of restos, I bought a knocked about Beretta 303 end of last ywear. Barrel was fine though bluing worn a bit thin, The stock was scretched and gouged and the receiver finish was chipped.

So stock stripped and repaired, finished with a decent oil finish.
Receiver sent off for cerakoting.
New recoil spring and a few other small bits.
Fix the butt pad on properly
and all is now operable and doing what it was designed to do.

oics to follow.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
the forend nicely oiled, and the whole thing ready to shoot
3033.jpg
3034.jpg

Last edited:

skeetstar

Old-Salt
I quite enjoyed doing it, I learnt a lot as well. I now have a taste for the Beretta 30X series autos, and that is from a dyed in the wool Browning shooter.

I'm now looking for another to do. Next one would be a 301 or 302, trouble is I'd be building up a stock of guns that in reality wont actually get shot that much.

I quite enjoyed doing it, I learnt a lot as well. I now have a taste for the Beretta 30X series autos, and that is from a dyed in the wool Browning shooter.

I'm now looking for another to do. Next one would be a 301 or 302, trouble is I'd be building up a stock of guns that in reality wont actually get shot that much.[/B]
Oh, like that never happens.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
I bought an AYA no 2 about fourteen months ago. 26 inch barrels, 12 bore and I shoot better with it at pheasant than any previous shotgun I have owned or borrowed.
Last week I checked the choke, both are true cylinder which gives pause for thought.
There is a professional sight bead at the end if the barrels.
Do I have a gun manufactured with no choke or have two inches been professionally removed from the muzzles at some point in its history. It is a 1975 built gun.
I am staying with 32 gram fives or, 30 grams no 6 in plastic wadding which both seem to be very effective out to 35 yards with it and beyond.
Did AYA make 26 inch barrels with no choke or do I have an evolved combination of events in this gun, which continues to work well for me.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

ugly

LE
I bought an AYA no 2 about fourteen months ago. 26 inch barrels, 12 bore and I shoot better with it at pheasant than any previous shotgun I have owned or borrowed.
Last week I checked the choke, both are true cylinder which gives pause for thought.
There is a professional sight bead at the end if the barrels.
Do I have a gun manufactured with no choke or have two inches been professionally removed from the muzzles at some point in its history. It is a 1975 built gun.
I am staying with 32 gram fives or, 30 grams no 6 in plastic wadding which both seem to be very effective out to 35 yards with it and beyond.
Did AYA make 26 inch barrels with no choke or do I have an evolved combination of events in this gun, which continues to work well for me.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
AYA did indeed make XXV guns, there is a website where serial numbers can give more information!
Relieving the choke isn’t unheard of! I shoot a factory sxs with true cylinder bores and it’s deadly on driven birds when I use 7.5 shot
Eta
The principle of more shot in a larger circle works but it’s no good on distant birds

Mick9abf

War Hero
I think people can overthink when it comes to choosing chokes when doing driven shooting.

Unless the birds are particularly high I’m of the general opinion that if your properly on the bird it’s coming down.

If it works for you @jmb3296 just crack on with a smile on your face. When I used to shoot a lot of clays I’d laugh at boys changing chokes (and cartridges sometimes) between stands claiming this and that - I still tended to score better than a lot of them and ran skeet or 1/4 in both. I’d wager you’ve won a watch and the gun just happens to fit you as well.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
I think people can overthink when it comes to choosing chokes when doing driven shooting.

Unless the birds are particularly high I’m of the general opinion that if your properly on the bird it’s coming down.

If it works for you @jmb3296 just crack on with a smile on your face. When I used to shoot a lot of clays I’d laugh at boys changing chokes (and cartridges sometimes) between stands claiming this and that - I still tended to score better than a lot of them and ran skeet or 1/4 in both. I’d wager you’ve won a watch and the gun just happens to fit you as well.
I agree entirely, wise words.

I have never been one to chop and change chokes or cartridge combinations. This gun I was puzzled by the openness or what appeared to be non standard fixed choking of the barrels.

Today I shot one walked drive before the day was abandoned in appalling weather. I dropped two birds of the three I shot at. One a lovely clean first barrel shot. The second 30 to 35 yards out and folded dead in the air.
I finished the drive with a broad grin and absolutely confirmed in the view I have found my game gun.
The gun cartridge combination works well aand it is a joy and p,ensure to shoot.
I have indeed one a watch

marty870

War Hero
Decided this afternoon I needed a new toy so I bought myself a Winchester SXP pump.

28" barrel, 3.5" chamber, multi choke.

Now I need to find a Post Office!
IMG_20200114_173047.jpg

socialdespatch

War Hero
I the vein of restos, I bought a knocked about Beretta 303 end of last ywear. Barrel was fine though bluing worn a bit thin, The stock was scretched and gouged and the receiver finish was chipped.

So stock stripped and repaired, finished with a decent oil finish.
Receiver sent off for cerakoting.
New recoil spring and a few other small bits.
Fix the butt pad on properly
and all is now operable and doing what it was designed to do.

oics to follow.

Could I ask who did the cerakoting? Oddly enough I have an A303 and a couple of other bits that need doing.

Hexi Bloke

On ROPS
On ROPs
20190311_145030_resized.jpeg

I pulled out my gun collection the other day, my wife come home early saw the guns and asked, 'how many do you actually need"..........ooppps

Latest Threads