Shotguns-show us your kit

I will visit James Purdey & Sons after my win on tonight's quadruple must win roll over lottery .

Lot of work with a purdey&sons.
:(

Mufulira

Old-Salt
My Greener Police Shotgun.
Originally in 14 bore.I opened up the chamber with a Brake hone and now shoot 12 gauge solid brass carts through it.
I picked up 2 of these for $100 Cdn and believe me the sand and crud from under the full length stock gave clue on who used these or wasit the squiggly arabic writing all over the Knox form. They cleaned up nicely and are both converted to 2 3/4" x 12 gauge ctgs

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Holland and Holland 12 bore, 25 inch barrels, made for my Grandfather between the wars. A lovely gun, especially if you're only 5' 8".
Lovely piece of kit.

What’s the first 2 digits of the serial number? I’ll be able to give you a rough age.

My father in law’s H&Hs are 28000s and we’re built in 1922.

ugly

LE
I had the chance to wave around an XXV and was astounded at the weight!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Crap photography, although it does need a service as it has spent the last 5 years or so languishing in my late father's gun cabinet.
Get a (shelled) walnut and smoosh it into all the cracks and dings in the stock.

The oil will seep in and fill the grain a bit.

Lovely piece of kit.

What’s the first 2 digits of the serial number? I’ll be able to give you a rough age.

My father in law’s H&Hs are 28000s and we’re built in 1922.
Thank you very much, they are 29. I'll be taking it to my local gunsmith for a service and valuation when I get a chance, or should it go to H and H ?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thank you very much, they are 29. I'll be taking it to my local gunsmith for a service and valuation when I get a chance, or should it go to H and H ?
29s are interesting. The numbers weren’t always consecutive but close enough, so even though mine are 28s, they might be newer than yours. The first 29 H&Hs were made in 1914. For obvious reasons not many were made for the next 4 or 5 years after that. This means 29s span quite a few years of production from 1914 until about 1923.

H&H will charge you mega bucks. Find a decent London trained gunsmith, there are plenty about. I’d tread on the side of caution with a back street local gunsmith, unless they really know their high end stuff. As an example a new mainspring from H&H will cost about 900 quid.

Value wise it’s quite a weird one. The massive stock extension and short barrels will shave a bit off what it’s worth unfortunately. It’s a niche thing and the fashion is very much for 28” barrels on London best side by sides. Although having said that it’s very rare and might be exactly what some weirdo has been looking for his whole life.

Depending on condition I reckon you’re looking at between 5 and 8 grand. A top condition one of the same age with 28” barrels would probably be more like 10 - 12.

Edit: if you haven’t done so already you can get copies of the original order forms and invoices from H&H (for a fee). Nice thing to have and will tell you how much they cost when new.

29s are interesting. The numbers weren’t always consecutive but close enough, so even though mine are 28s, they might be newer than yours. The first 29 H&Hs were made in 1914. For obvious reasons not many were made for the next 4 or 5 years after that. This means 29s span quite a few years of production from 1914 until about 1923.

H&H will charge you mega bucks. Find a decent London trained gunsmith, there are plenty about. I’d tread on the side of caution with a back street local gunsmith, unless they really know their high end stuff. As an example a new mainspring from H&H will cost about 900 quid.

Value wise it’s quite a weird one. The massive stock extension and short barrels will shave a bit off what it’s worth unfortunately. It’s a niche thing and the fashion is very much for 28” barrels on London best side by sides. Although having said that it’s very rare and might be exactly what some weirdo has been looking for his whole life.

Depending on condition I reckon you’re looking at between 5 and 8 grand. A top condition one of the same age with 28” barrels would probably be more like 10 - 12.

Edit: if you haven’t done so already you can get copies of the original order forms and invoices from H&H (for a fee). Nice thing to have and will tell you how much they cost when new.
Many thanks Ravers. The Salisbury gunsmiths are mustard so I'll save a packet and go there. Great idea about the original order and invoice, I shall do this.
Oh, no stock extension, crap photography.
Seriously, thank you very much, greatly appreciated.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Many thanks Ravers. The Salisbury gunsmiths are mustard so I'll save a packet and go there. Great idea about the original order and invoice, I shall do this.
Oh, no stock extension, crap photography.
Seriously, thank you very much, greatly appreciated.
What’s the big black bit at the back of the stock?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Also your pin for the detachable lock should be horizontal. It should clip into place.

What’s the big black bit at the back of the stock?
To be honest I don't know. It's been in Dads gun cabinet for the past 5 years and rarely used before that. The stock has definitely not been extended or it would not fit me. I will admit that the circumstances of it passing to me may have led me to fight shy of any faults in its makeup.

Attachments

One of my most enjoyable jobs ever was Police firearms licensing officer.

I saw guns guns and indeed guns, usually in pleasant circumstances with nice people.

One visit was to the Du*e of XXXXXXXX.

A flunky answered the door and told me with a bit of a sneer that he would show me the gun room.

Well... you're all cert. holders... my back was up.

Turns out my predecessor 5 years gone had simply drunk a brew and buggered off.

I told the servant that I was on Queen's Business and if he unlocked said gunroom there would be awkward questions about access.... cue D*ke.

Explained the rules and the lack of exceptions to same, feeling a bit socially out of my depth as a minor Civil Servant ex lancejack with the Colonel of his regiment... hey ho.

After a bit of a chilly few minutes the old chap thawed and I think he genuinely enjoyed the many hours rummaging through the collection, ticking off the gats. I certainly did. Stories galore. Beautiful collection.

Needless to say the cert bore very little relationship to the actual weapons but it was all easily sorted out. I say "easily", took weeks. Lots taken off cert as historical etc.

I remember Purdeys and all sorts but the gun nearest the door was an old but serviceable side by side you could have picked up for £100.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To be honest I don't know. It's been in Dads gun cabinet for the past 5 years and rarely used before that. The stock has definitely not been extended or it would not fit me. I will admit that the circumstances of it passing to me may have led me to fight shy of any faults in its makeup.
The black bit looks like a stock extension, but on closer inspection could be discolouration to the wood.

Looks like it’s had a pad or something fitted to it and the wood has faded unevenly.

Easily sorted with a rub down and refinish.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
After 26 years I parted with my lovely T34 last week, she was of 1943 vintage and showed a few battle scars, The buyer another enthusiast discovered that the 'Gun' was live. He seemed to think this may be okay under the 'obsolete ammo rule' I would take views on that. (The chap with me standing on the left has 200 mil vehs) I know that such things as tanks and scout cars, Harleys etc are 'big boys toys' and eventually you have to let em go! but there is sadness in the parting...a sort of grief! I hope she gets a good home.
T34 sold!.JPG

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Good points - Good guns overall, I have an Extrema 2, the only real difference I believe is a larger action for 3.5” magnum cartridges and coatings. All chokes are steel proofed so no pricking about changing stuff if playing near water. Will cycle anything you put through it.

Bad points - heavier than a Benelli M2 but better made in my opinion. Unloading the magazine is a **** about compared to the Benelli, not a big problem but a pain in the arse If section 1. They are an absolute twat to strip for cleaning to the point I hardly ever bother but it still works.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe something no one cares about, but I acquired that 391 swapping it for a Beretta A400 Xplor that I bought a few years ago.

The wood is much better on the 391, it is heavier, which I like, fits me a tad better.
It is a much more complex gun, that will need more maintenance, but I dont mind that. Bizarrely the fore end cap has a spring loaded plunger that neds regular lubrication.

Anyway, thanks all for your input, much appreciated.

Latest Threads