Shotguns-show us your kit

You have a few options.

Traditionally the furniture (that’s the trigger guard, top lever and forend iron) would be blued and the action lightly case hardened.

If there are any remnants of these original finishes it’s nice to leave them be and not go overboard with the cleaning / polishing.

Boiling on a stove with some soda powder will bring everything up nicely.

If all the original finish is gone then you can go for a shiny finish. A light going over with Autosol will do the trick.

Top tip: if you want the engraving / lettering to really stand out, give it a little hit with a can of black spray paint, then quickly wipe it off with a damp cloth before it dries.

The paint will get down into the engraving and make it really stand out.

It obviously goes without saying that you only want to be doing any of this with the metalwork off the wood.
Damn I boiled the action with the stock on before I read the bottom line .....joking ..

I`ve not heard of boiling metalwork with soda (Bicarbonate of soda ?) , will definitely try that and get busy with some autosol , I guess it will be fun getting the screws out without fcuking them.

Cheers

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Damn I boiled the action with the stock on before I read the bottom line .....joking ..

I`ve not heard of boiling metalwork with soda (Bicarbonate of soda ?) , will definitely try that and get busy with some autosol , I guess it will be fun getting the screws out without fcuking them.

Cheers
Yeah Sodium Bicarbonate or basic baking soda.

If you don’t wanna mash your screws up, you’ll need to buy (or make) a proper set of gunmakers turnscrews (screwdrivers).

These are the exact size for the screws and don’t allow any slippage. They also apply equal pressure along the length of the slot which means no gouges and dings.

Edit: if you have a grinding wheel or even a vice and file, you can just make oversized screwdrivers a bit smaller until they fit in the screw slot perfectly.

ugly

LE
You have a few options.

Traditionally the furniture (that’s the trigger guard, top lever and forend iron) would be blued and the action lightly case hardened.

If there are any remnants of these original finishes it’s nice to leave them be and not go overboard with the cleaning / polishing.

Boiling on a stove with some soda powder will bring everything up nicely.

If all the original finish is gone then you can go for a shiny finish. A light going over with Autosol will do the trick.

Top tip: if you want the engraving / lettering to really stand out, give it a little hit with a can of black spray paint, then quickly wipe it off with a damp cloth before it dries.

The paint will get down into the engraving and make it really stand out.

It obviously goes without saying that you only want to be doing any of this with the metalwork off the wood.
You could get them blacked/rebrowned if they aren't too decorative, discuss by PM's for contacts. I did sell a wall hanger muzzle loader we fixed up to a pub and a very tidy profit was made!

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
My little cannon with a bore of 2.5in, it's allowed for 2.5oz of BP when firing. Once belonged to the Royal Shakespeare Company then the Sealed Knot. Proofed at Birmingham, of doubtful age but twice proofed.
cannon.jpg
edited for sp

Last edited:

HE117

LE
Yeah Sodium Bicarbonate or basic baking soda.

If you don’t wanna mash your screws up, you’ll need to buy (or make) a proper set of gunmakers turnscrews (screwdrivers).

These are the exact size for the screws and don’t allow any slippage. They also apply equal pressure along the length of the slot which means no gouges and dings.

Edit: if you have a grinding wheel or even a vice and file, you can just make oversized screwdrivers a bit smaller until they fit in the screw slot perfectly.
I use washing soda.. (sodium carbonate)

That's what it says on the lock with &sons

I bought it to say in own one, I would never shoot it, it was one of two made

skeetstar

Old-Salt
I dont want to start a new thread, but looking for some advice/views...

I have the chance of getting a Beretta 391 semi auto.. anyone got one? It's in great condition and has pretty good wood. What are the mechanicals like? Are they reliable guns... ?

Great to hear from folks who own them or have experience of them, Thanks

ugly

LE
Not the 391 but everything Beretta has made since the 303 has been well received!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I have the chance of getting a Beretta 391 semi auto.. anyone got one? It's in great condition and has pretty good wood. What are the mechanicals like? Are they reliable guns... ?

Our old farm manager had one and sang it’s praises highly.

Not really my bag at all, I have an intense dislike of semi auto shotguns, but if that’s your thing the Beretta is one of the better ones out there.

Mick9abf

War Hero

Good points - Good guns overall, I have an Extrema 2, the only real difference I believe is a larger action for 3.5” magnum cartridges and coatings. All chokes are steel proofed so no pricking about changing stuff if playing near water. Will cycle anything you put through it.

Bad points - heavier than a Benelli M2 but better made in my opinion. Unloading the magazine is a **** about compared to the Benelli, not a big problem but a pain in the arse If section 1. They are an absolute twat to strip for cleaning to the point I hardly ever bother but it still works.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Thanks fellas, I don't mind cleaning my guns so that bit not a problem.. I'll take it out for a test shoot, and probably end up with it in the cabinet.

Thanks all for your input.

ugly

LE
I had one of these, I couldn't strip it and it was very fussy, I couldn't actually be sure it wasn't broken and I was so very happy when somebody wanted to pay me cash for it!

Latest Threads