Shotguns. Removing lead deposits.

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by EX_STAB, Jun 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any suggestions for removing heavy leading from shotgun barrels?

I use a Payne-Gallwey brush but mechanical action only seems to go so far. As lead is inert I suspect there won't be many chemical solutions to the problem. I have just had my gunsmith lap and polish the barrel of one gun so hopefully the high finish will reduce leading in that but I can't afford to do them all.

Turks head brushes might seem the way forward but my gunsmith reckons they're not any more effective than a Payne-Gallwey and in any case nobody seems to stock them.

I'm disinclined to use the old method of mopping up the lead in mercury - too toxic even for me!
  2. Ammonia may be the answer, I know the stuff is evil, but I'm told it works. I have somewhere (hidden in a safe place) a lead removing cloth that really does work, does a great job on my revolver. IF I can find it I can then tell you what make it is, but I do know that it came from the USA.
  3. msr

msr LE

Stop using it as a street sweeper?

4. You're only jealous!

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have a similar problem with my Ithaca 37 when I use CBC slugs, after about 40 or so rounds the barrel is minging. I bought a new brush and also used some pan scrubbers the green sort, that cleaned it last time, its still a bit grotty inside at the mo so I'll clean it out later. Its worse with felt wads as you get no protection from the shot unlike a plaswad cup.