Shotguns on ops

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by ugly, Jul 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I remember fondly the rem 870 of NI days with the mag extension, pistol grip and folding stock. I am assuming that they have been phased out as I recall seeing in an old issue of the Silver Bugle what looked like a fire team on the ramp of a Chinook in Basra with one at least armed with a fixed stock pump action 12 bore.
    Opsec considered but as I use an Ithaca 37 8 shot DS Police Special and it has some tasty features in an old gun, I was curious as to what is if at all in use still?
    I am also interested in the service loads if available?

2. on early telics they were mostly being used for op fido the putting down of stray dogs. and posing with :twisted:

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

This was definetly a posed photo op! No one takes them on patrol then? I always would have liked to have used one on fibua!
    Still no closer to the model and ammo Q though?

4. Christ ugly, fish, fibua or pub brawl with a shotgun - next you'll want a leather mac......

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I used to use a two tone flasher mac as a car coat, the 870 or the HK53 would fit nicely under that. I used to deride leather but after last night putting in posts for a pheasant pen, the only parts of me that were dry were covered by a leather Jerkin!

6. Oh God, don't remind me of the "shotgun saga"....

Litotes

7. Ugly, you and 94 Downtown over the water in Raincoats..............the Shame.

8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Shotguns were used by our lead scouts or trackers in a jungle 'police action' many years ago. believe they were either Greener pumps, or Browning semi-auto. Can't help on the load at all.
    As a young bobby, long before firearm teams, we used sawn off side by sides, with solid shot to either take doors off, or shoot escaped bulls.

I know they were used 'cross water, and we also used them in another sandy place, a long time ago. For wild dogs, we favoured veh mounted GPMGs. Seemed to work.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I occaisionally used one across the water but I wasnt bothered about the ammo then, provided it went bang whenI needed it to I was happy. Like most squaddies I guess! I'm sure we used No6 and SG for practice if my recollection of the state of fig 11's is anything to go by!
    Thinking back, I thought that WW Greener only made the police gun for that sort of work. I dont recall a pump by them but I know a man who will have that answer. Bill Harriman!

10. [​IMG]

The new US solution. The effective range cant be much, but I suppose it saves carrying a seperate weapon just for breaching.

Edited to add:

Someone obviously didn't like me posting that piccy, as its disappeared. Its the new US lightweight shotgun system, it attaches to your weapon in the same manner as an UGL.

Hopefully, this one will stay put.

[​IMG]

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Just the red x man!

12. With shot guns the range that you are fighting is the problem, it is okay very close quarters but any further it is not much good, so you might as well stick with your SA 80

13. The Csm PWRR up in slivovo used to exercise his right to kill furry creatures with a shotty on a regular basis

He was the Rsm of PWRR featured in dusty warriors, top bloke

still used to make royal brekky wets though :D

14. Shotguns on operations? Does that mean we'd be able to use beaters to flush those insurgent blighters out?