Shotgun Shell Weights.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by maninblack, Apr 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Can anyone provide the typical weights for shotgun shells.

I am not looking for the pellet weight or guage but the actual weight per shell when you check it on a set of scales as in "I wish I had only brought 50 shells today, Johnny, because these 200 are very heavy."

2. One empty run-of-the-mill Federal 12 gauge shotshell weighs in at 0.275 ounces or 7.795 grams.

According to t'interweb.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Certainly can, I assume you are asking about 1 ounce loads?
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

More likely 28gms....... ^_^
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Because I'm bored and avoiding any work I've just weighed the 30grm Eley Hi-flyer Fibre No 6 67mm long thats sat on my desk and it weighed surprisingly 28 grams :)

(+ or - 2 grams for a crap scale)

No wonder I can't hit anything the birds are obviously just out of range by the 2 grams
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats odd as the load should be 30 grammes so what is the case made from?
  7. Any help? Modern Firearms - Shotgun ammunition
    Add a few grams for the case, base and cap. It's not precise though as 2 3/4" shells would have different weight to 3" magnum shells and weigh more or less depending on the load, and that's just twelve bore.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Exactly what is a standard load?
  9. A plastic, they're the pink ones.

However clearly explains why I'm not hitting anything, I leading for 30 grammes not 28 grammes ;)
  10. I read somewhere that it is approx a level tea-spoonful. I think it was in Razzle.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

behave, mines a flood warning not a sperm count, back to topic, if the shot load is 28 grammes, the wad and powder weigh something even if its in grains and the case itself isnt free of mass!