Shotgun - Refurb help

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Stan_Da_Bout, Dec 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just aquired this lovely old girl for a very good price, so it is worth spending a little on her to bring back some of her faded glory.

I'm quite confident to spruce up the wood but the barrels need some dents raising and the damascus needs fettling with.

I'm looking for a good, not to expensive gunsmith who would do a good job on the barrels please. I haven't googled or reseached yet, I thought perhaps one of you gentlemen could give me some direction. I'm in the Midlands, not far from the gunmakers capital.

This is what she looks like now.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. depoends on how solid them barrels are really

3. Need to check if it's nitro proofed first. Take her to a decent gun shop who can tell you what the stamps mean. Even if it is it won't take a large load and chamber length may be shorter than later guns.
    If you are in the midlands check the Birmingham proof house. They can proof your gun for quite a small cost.
    Shooting with a hammer is fun you have to factor in the delay from pulling the trigger to the hammer striking. Not long but enough to make a difference.

4. It certainly does, but the delay is not as much as shooting a flintlock - that's positively glacial!

5. I'm not going to shoot it much if at all. Still, I agree it does need proofing. I've been to the proofhouse a few time. Very helpful chaps.

No nitro proof stamps I can see. Not that I know a great deal about it but they sometimes have 'nitroproof' stamped on the barrels. They do habe 'NOT FOR BALL' which I thought was helpful!

And Joe, your sig stops just a few frames short! Get it sorted :)

6. Looks great just as it is. :)

7. Nitro proofing an old blackpowder piece usually involves sleeving them down 12 bore to 16 etc. Crap solution it destroys the gun's balance. Spending a packet swaging the barrels out and then re-browning them would only make sense to me if you were to use the cartridges it was made for.

I used blackpowder loads in my Grandad's 8 bore duck gun for years, no problem!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Getting black powder shotgun carts is pretty hard in the uk.

9. Gamebore still sell them.

10. True but you should see the dents :-(

I've decided only to fire her with BP only. I have a press, I'll load my own, if I fire her at all! It's not like I need another s/s.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

My 1872-6 Richards hammergun was converted to rebounding hammers by the maker in 1892, and it looks like the last time it needed work before passing nitro proof in 1995.
    I have put 5000 shells through it. The hinge pin drifts out a bit if I don't watch it, and the nipples can get loose - but that is it.

I assume you verified the wall thickness before purchase? Other than that any well made gun without obvious faults should be fine to proof and shoot. My chamber is 65mm/2.5 inch and I have a nice light 21gm nitro clay load for practice, and a 28gm nitro game load.

Edit:
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/shooting-hunting-fishing/105676-rifles-hot-not-show-us-yer-kit-47.html

Post #468

12. If I'm honest I didn't verify the wall thickness prior to purchase. Yes, I should have done of course but the price was right. Sounds a bit dodgy but the seller was legit, I'm 100% of that. The seller assured me he did fire it but ever so I'm not going to take his word for it before an inspection. By eye, apart from dents, it all looks good but as we know that means nothing without checking the walls. If I never fire it I'm not going to cry, that's was never the point.

Funny enough I have a Westley Richards 2.5in chamber I put 21g clay load through, not a hammer though. Your Richards sounds a joy.

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Mine is a W. Richards not a Westley.

Ask someone to gauge the walls, only then will you know what you can do with it. Good luck!

14. Actually you've made me think now, mine is signed W. Richards on the barrells but has Westley Richard on the ticket! Hmmm.
    I had a look at yours on the post, very nice sir!

I shall get the walls checked on the hammer. Cheers.

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If it says W. Richards of Liverpool on the barrels it is not a Westley. Records exist back to 1891.
    W. Richards were faked in Belgium between the wars, but not usually hammerguns.