Shotgun oils, cleaners and grease.

I have often wondered if all the above goods are an elaborate con regarding branding etc.
I have several different types of oils and greases and protectors, Napier, Tetra, Clenzoil etc.

I was recently in Decathlon, both here and in France and their gun oil is £1.99 ( Armistol). the reviews on the website after
translation are basically tre bon etc.

I have been told that 3 in 1 is a good all rounder and protectant. Mobil 1 synthetic oil and grease are superb.

Does anybody know what the MOD use for their weapons, I used to clean various small arms in wet and salty environments for years and found it to be ok.

Louis Awerbuck (RIP) the former chief instructor at Gunsite pointed me at automatic transmission fluid, it cost me about a fiver for a litre.

I know a little of maritime, not firearm, oils and I suspect we get what we pay for. I saw the spec of a good quality oil and, bearing in mind it's over an hours labour to get to the parts where it's needed, thought that quality would prevail and asked about the price. £700 ex vat per 500 ml! Since then I've been more or less replicating its spec with home brew, so many mill of 3 in 1, so many mill of 10/w40 and so on until I'm happy and have had no complaints for a year. If you've got the time and inclination, research and experimentation is a winner.

Ed's Red is great. I've got a petrol can 3/4 full of the stuff that I made years ago.

People go loopy about the magic properties of this, that or the other lubricant, but fundamentally, it's just lube...

The problem with using automotive oils on firearms is that most are carcinogenic .

Ahem.. across the world, and taking it as a whole and in the most general of terms, you understand, the view of a non-expert but educated man is that the slightly larger risk from firearms is people being killed a bit quicker than cancer.

Who wants to be the oldest person in the nursing home?

Ed's Red is great. I've got a petrol can 3/4 full of the stuff that I made years ago.

People go loopy about the magic properties of this, that or the other lubricant, but fundamentally, it's just lube...
Have you tried peroxide and white vinegar mixed to remove lead in barrels?

With pistol barrels I just drop them in, with rifle I plug one end of the barrel. You see the solution bubbling away and lead deposits floating out.

Have you tried peroxide and white vinegar mixed to remove lead in barrels?

With pistol barrels I just drop them in, with rifle I plug one end of the barrel. You see the solution bubbling away and lead deposits floating out.
I prefer to avoid it in the first place. Beyond that, Sweet's works pretty well and doesn't harm the steel.

We used to lube up £40,000 shotguns with cheap Vaseline from the chemists down the road.

Dab a bit on the lock work and melt it over a gas flame into a film over all the gubbins.

We used to lube up £40,000 shotguns with cheap Vaseline from the chemists down the road.

Dab a bit on the lock work and melt it over a gas flame into a film over all the gubbins.
Did the Vaseline make it easier to shaft a potential buyer :)

ugly

LE
Cheap gun oil is fine, rest guns muzzle down in the cabinets to avoid soaking the wood

Last edited:
WD40 is a marketing con, there is nothing in it except a bit of cheap mineral oil and a lot of solvent, it evaporates off in no time so you have to keep buying it.

I've got what the shop gave me with the first gun still....smells like pear drops and hasn't destroyed the kitchen table so on that basis it mustn't be too bad for my health....I haven't drank any though :)

WD40 is a marketing con, there is nothing in it except a bit of cheap mineral oil and a lot of solvent, it evaporates off in no time so you have to keep buying it.

Dunno. It apparently performs better than most proprietary gun preservatives in "steel plate left outside in the rain" tests.

About seven years ago, I had to put a load of firearms into storage at short notice. With no other practical option (150+ rifles to prepare in 24hrs), I sprayed them all through with WD40. The storage conditions were far from ideal - a damp ISO container in an RFD's yard - but, despite languishing unused for several years, those rifles were untouched by surface or bore corrosion.

One thing I do appreciate about WD40 is that, once you have wiped off the liquid surplus, the remaining coat does not have a tendency to run off metal parts and onto wood stocks, e.g. when the rifle is standing in a cabinet.

If it's "I really don't want this thing to rust up" it's XCP Rust Blocker or ACP50.

Lubes: Moly Greases for surfaces where there is pressure involved: lugs, cams etc. Otherwise what is allegedly a light full ester synthetic oil used for aircraft automatic weaponry given to me years ago by somebody who knows about such things.

No idea what it actually is other than being in a brown container but odorless, works extremely well, never gums up and clings on well.