Shotgun for my wife

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by colourservice, Oct 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No not a swap but more of a question.

I have an O/U that I use for clay shooting but my wife finds it has too much recoil for her and can't shoot more than a few targets before giving up. I was wondering if a 12G semi auto would sort out the recoil issue?

Many thanks,

2. Go for a 20 bore.

To expand on that. Semi wont reduce the recoil by much and on some semis its even worse.

Semis are not liked by clay clubs (nowt wrong with it in my opinion, better to practice on clay before wildfowling etc)

The best bet for your missus would be a 20 bore.

Hope this helps
  3. Go for lighter loads, a kick eez butt plate for the gun and a recoil pad for her shoulder. 24g loads are ok in 12bore or 21g in 20bore. I use white gold xlr and can shoot a slab without issues.
  4. What about 'porting' the barrel?
  5. Or you could just get her to fire off a 3.5" 50g AAA and tell her to stop whining.
  6. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Sorry to butt in (see what i did there?), but given the title of this thread, is anyone else wishing this thread was in the NAAFI?
  7. Yes, I've deleted many replies before clicking on the post button. I

Its killing me
  8. 20g O/U as already said
    I prefer mine over a 12 for bird and clays
    Light, low recoil,pointable and effective- only downer is the slightly higher cost of cartridges
  9. Thanks for the advice pebbles you might have saved me from an expensive mistake as I was tempted to go out tomorrow and find her a semi ( that will test the resolve of some on here).

What price is realistic for a decent nick 20G for a beginner to clay shooting do you think?

10. check guntrader for current market prices mate
  11. Go one step further and get her a 20ga semi auto.
  12. Yeah this did prompt 'NAAFI' type replies to form in my mind regarding hunting the missus through the undergrowth with a combat shotgun. Anyone at your shooting club clued up on local dealers? Maybe they could suggest a decent price for the your missus' new hand cannon
  13. Some people love 'em some hate them.

There was a really bad batch a few years ago which put a lot of people off.
    I've never fired a hatsan but some people swear by them.

Probably better off with an O/U though mate.
  14. Tried clay shooting once during the Derby Trophy with TA long time ago. The instructor fella had a SPAS 12 along with the usual O/U. Was rather fun piece of kit.