Shotgun Cert Renewal

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Silver_Bull, Sep 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Certificate runs out on the 18/09 put all the paperwork in July and was due to be inspected on the 02/09. Chap rang and cancelled as he was sick. Tried to ring him yesterday no answer. Contacted firearms licencing today and asked them the score. Told me unlikely to be inspected before 18/09 and so will need to put in storage. Surely the onus is on them to get my storage inspected prior? If not any ideas of a dealer in West Yorks who can store? Cheers.
  2. msr

msr LE

Do you not have a mate you can sign them over to? I expect it will be a lot cheaper than storage.

3. Possibly. I've three shotguns don't know if he has room. Is it straightforward to sign over? Cheers.
  4. After the 18th you'd better not have any shotguns in your possession otherwise you qualify for a stay in the Big House.
    Their inefficiency is no defence in law.
    Loan your gun(s) to a certificate holder or lodge with an RFD OR you could ask them to issue a "Temporary (3-months) certificate", seeing as it's partly their fault. (This is not uncommon where I live)
  5. Cow

Cow LE

6. Cheers Cow. Yes - reinspection was down for 02/09 but the civilian inspector rang to cancel as he was sick. Told he'd ring to rearrange. I rang him yesterday no answer so I rang the licencing office who told me it would be unlikely a reinspection would be carried out prior to the 18/09 (renewal date) therefore I would be in possession of unlicenced shotguns. I pointed out I put the renewal application in back in July and the inspection was due for 02/09 and it was hardly my fault the inspector was on the sick. They told me to put into storage or sign over to another licence holder. I asked for the chap's manager to ring me so I'm waiting on that phone call. I'm not a BASC member I only shoot every Sheffield flood but I've had a licence for over 20 years and don't want to give it up. I'm waiting on my solicitor geting back to me.
  7. The safest way is to put them into storage with a RFD
  8. Thanks gents. I've been issued with a temporary licence.
  9. Don't tell them you hardly ever use them...
    Worth joining BASC or similar for helpful legal advice and cover, plus they can intercede on your behalf
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Nice to hear that a temporary license was issued, my renewal is rarely less than 6 months at a time and it only gets harder because they change the goal posts every few years. I am also now an RFD so they dont panic about storage. I dont worry much either about a temp license or storage and never have, its the old bills job to do the work, if you put everything in on time then they are at fault. My FEO often admits this and is happy for cert holders undergoling renewal to shoot even without a temp certificate!
    It's because they are too lazy to do the work on time or too understaffed despite taking the money from us and not spending it on administering the certs properly.
  11. I won't and I'll join. I'm being inspected tomorrow.