Shotgun cartridges - laws on finding them

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Sympathetic_Reaction, Jan 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Hi guys,

My wife works for a Wildlife Trust and recently they have been finding live shotgun cartdriges in a car park on on of their sites. They are obviously being dropped by one of the local shooters (a number have permission to shoot there).

I've been asked what to do with them, I've given them a quick run down on safety and storage, but I am unsure on the legal side of picking up, storage and disposal. No-one at the trust has a licence for firearms of any type so what should they do with them? I've pointed them towards the Police for help, but thought you guys could help out in quicker time.

2. Contact your local control room, non emergency number, google/yell, etc. They'll create and incident and your beat officer can collect for disposal
  3. Possibly obtain contact no for the nearest shooter with permission and he/she could collect them.
  4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Okay guys thanks for the info.

5. The job won't cause any problems over collecting the shells and as he's asking on behalf of wife/wildlife centre, chances are they'll already know their local officer. Collection is a simple task and despite what others say, no reason to cause any problems. Beat officer can kill 2 birds with one stone and give prevention advice as poster states it's a reoccuring theme!
  6. England, Scotland & Wales: no legal authority or good reason required to possess or store. You can't sell them on unless you know that the buyer is not a prohibited person, in law - in practice, this means for all intents and purposes, they'll have to have a SGC (Shotgun Certificate).

So, you can safely take them and keep them, bin them, hand them to the plod or just ignore them. They are much safer than centre fire ammo; if initiated (outside of a barrel) they will simply pop open, although the primer cap going off may make you jump.

If you're in NI, leave them the fuck alone (after you've removed your dabs if you've touched them).
  7. Hope that is the case. But I can tell you of somebody who had a very bad time indeed just because the binmen spotted some discharged shotshells he had taken home and put in his rubbish bin rather than leave them in the field.

Common sense does not always prevail.
  8. Stop, Stop, Stop al!!!!!!!!!l It is against the law to tamper with loaded ammo. It is legal to posses but not to buy if you dont have a Shot gun cert. Just find some one who shoots and give them tot hem and they will put them down the range.

9. Where's the common sense in putting live ammo in the bin?
  10. The law on finding cartridges is that you find them immediately after the thing you wanted to shoot at has passed you and your unloaded, broken gat. The exception that proves the rule is that you find a cartridge in time but it is of either an inappropriate calibre or load...
  11. That was changed a few years ago as I recall but I don't have the reference to hand.

That said, it's not advisable anyway unless you know what you are doing.
  12. What ever you do, DO NOT involve plod. Almost all of them have a very basic understanding of gun law. And they won't give you the benifit of the doubt, they'll charge you with something-anything then ask questions later. By then it'll have gathered too much momentum to be a mistake and it'll cost you a fortune to clear your name.
    Seen it too many times unfortunately.