Shotgun Cabinet Question

I am in the market for a shotgun Cabinet prior to the FLO coming on his home visit. What I want to know is where is the best place to get on from? Local gunsmiths, internet, back of shooting times.

I am after one with a shelf for cartridges, I know its not a requirement for shotgun ammunition its more of a piece of mind thing; and it needs to be able to hold up to 3 guns.

Any help is much appreciated.

P

PrinceAlbert

Find the cabinet you want, shop around for the best price, and bobs your uncle.

Getting a cabinet that comes with the fixing bolts is a winner.

If I had shotguns, this is the cabinet I'd want for them: linky

Buy online for the best price. The fixings are only a few quid from your local hardware store. The hammer drill and the embuggeration factor is more of an issue.

Don't bother with the inbuilt top shelf idea as they are more expensive. Either put a shelf in it yourself or keep them in a locked drawer etc.

Might be worth having a chat with your FEO before drilling holes and fixing the thing to your house. There are Home Office Guidelines (Firearms Handbook 2005) on where and how to fix cabinets but individual forces tend to have their own interpretation of it.

For example mine (Hampshire) insisted it be upstairs and inside another cupboard (wardrobe) whereas my dad (Devon and Cornwall) has his in his utility room just inside the back door. So I get grief off Mrs I for bringing my guns into the bedroom whereas Dad isn't allowed to bring his into the house as he can "keep them in the dirty room outside".

I find it quite disturbing that you are required to open your home and allow the government in to inspect.

Without a warrant, no police/government agents will enter mine.
Dogface, you are a pain in the arrse. Just accept that we do things differently here, will you? I find it quite disturbing that so many people in the US feel the need to go armed every day, for example, - it must be a very dangerous place to live, eh? Just overrun with bandits armed to the teeth? - but if that's the way you feel you need to do things, that's fine. Just don't expect everyone else to envy you.

I find it quite disturbing that you are required to open your home and allow the government in to inspect.
You are not required to let them in, you are not required to let them inspect anything.

They are not required to grant you permission to hold firearms.

Seems fair enough.

ugly

LE
We have security for a reason, to stop us shooting at any passing sceptics!

ugly

LE
Seriously though I havent paid more than £50 for a 3 gun to 6 gun used cabinet for a long time, try the local free ad papers or online. Bolts are really cheap and if you buy a big cabinet you can buy more without breaking the security conditions on your FAC!

ugly

LE

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm about to take control of my father in laws shotguns.. I'm in the process of applying for the correct licences and awaiting a visit from the police.
I realise different police forces are different but, will I be able to mount my cabinet in the garage which is detached from the house with access only through the dog run between the house and the garage. In effect it's a solid outbuilding with 9 inch solid walls and a security door. Or as this can be classed as an outbuilding is it a complete no no and the cabinet will have to be in the house?
As I said I realise different police may have different ideas, I'm new to this so just wanted some thoughts from the more experienced users.
cheers

ugly

LE
I suggest that you call your local feo and have a chat with him about it. Explain why you want to do this and see what his response is. There are only security guidelines and recommendations from the home office. If you want this and this only then a stand alone alarm and strict contol over access to keys to the garage etc should swing it in your favour. As a newly minted RFD it took months for them to make their mind up over security but going a bit further than needed can help swing it for you!

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
thanks for the input :)

The trouble with some modern houses is the walls are made of rubbish. All the internal walls in Cirrhosis sur Mer are stud partition. Finding something that is sufficiently strong is quite a problem.
Would a cabinet laying flat and coach-bolted into the rafters be good enough? Or would upstairs and rawl-bolted to an external wall satisfy the Forces of Babylon?

Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm about to take control of my father in laws shotguns.. I'm in the process of applying for the correct licences and awaiting a visit from the police.
I realise different police forces are different but, will I be able to mount my cabinet in the garage which is detached from the house with access only through the dog run between the house and the garage. In effect it's a solid outbuilding with 9 inch solid walls and a security door. Or as this can be classed as an outbuilding is it a complete no no and the cabinet will have to be in the house?
As I said I realise different police may have different ideas, I'm new to this so just wanted some thoughts from the more experienced users.
cheers
Wedge, I'm afraid that you'll be hard pushed to convince your local FEO to sign off on the fitting to a garage. I understand what your saying regarding access and security, but I personally do not allow this as access can be forced and once gained, unless the cabinet is hiden away from view in a cupboard, etc, then you have an instant obvious target. If space within the house is an issue, I'd recommend placing it in the attic if it can be drill securely. Pm me if you need?

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

The trouble with some modern houses is the walls are made of rubbish. All the internal walls in Cirrhosis sur Mer are stud partition. Finding something that is sufficiently strong is quite a problem.
Would a cabinet laying flat and coach-bolted into the rafters be good enough? Or would upstairs and rawl-bolted to an external wall satisfy the Forces of Babylon?
Depends on the attitude of the person who inspects.

Had a little bit of a spat concerning a cabinet that was laid flat and held in place by six coach bolts (into hardwood timbers that were in turn bolted to joists because of orientation/spacing of said floor joists was wrong) but I just waved this at them:

"2.10 Fixings for security devices form an important part of the overall resistance to attack.
Fastening to timber studded walls should be avoided, unless some additional anchorage can be
provided. Floor or roof joists (subject to the previous comments) are acceptable. Walls of brick,
concrete or masonry are usually the best bonding materials. It is important that the fixing chosen
is correct for that material (eg expanding bolts, chemical anchors, toggle bolts etc). With modern
building materials, particularly breeze and thermal block walls, the materials are not particularly
suited to normal fixing devices."

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/public...k-2005/firearms-security-handbook?view=Binary