Shotgun blow up

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by No_Duff, Sep 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I reckon he/she needed new underpants.

2. ...hands, face and chest would probably need a refit too.

3. That'll teach him not to overload his shells, the ******* idiot.

4. Looks like the result of having a 20bore loaded in front of a 12bore.

5. Read the thread

6. Definately new pants required! Wonder what his RFD would say if he asked them to pop it all back together?

7. Ive only read the first page of the thread but the barrel must have been blocked causing a massive increase in pressure and causing any un burnt propellant to high order. I cant believe no-one was hurt, look at the state of the gun!

8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

But look where it failed, the chamber.
    What type of obstruction do you think would have caused this ?
    I'm loathe to imagine a 28 ga. loaded in front of the 20 had occured and even then there's some thought that this wouldn't cause that sort of damage.
    Unless anyone has a buckshee Miroku 20 ga O/U they're willing to test ?

9. Difficult to call this one..

Shotgun powder is "fast" compared with rifle powder, as it is designed to perform at lower chamber pressures. (it used to be common practice to use shotgun powders such as green dot in pistol loads..). I am wary of calling "detonation" without being able to look at the surface of the camber.. I would have expected more fragmantation if this was the cause. Double based powder such as Bullseye will detonate, but only under fairly specific conditions not usually found in a gun barrel..

My inital call would be failure of the chamber along the top surface, where it has been joined to the the other barrel. I would be looking for poor heat treatment or undeclared hot work..

10. I have read it and it "Looks like the result of having a 20bore loaded in front of a 12bore." Whether it is or not is another matter but that's what it looks like.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Whatever it is I suspect that isnt going to polish out like an ordinary dent!

12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I think what Smudge means is that in the thread linked to in the first post, it is made clear that the O/U was a 20 bore.
    Same scenario with a 28 bore cart though, but I'm not even sure that it would cause such a catostrpohic failure.
    My first thoughts on reading it were along the lines of HE117's, material failure over a period - or iffy hotwork.

13. Point taken if that's what he meant - fairly does but as you say, the effect of a 28 under a 20 or a 20 under a 12 is much the same. I have seen damage similar to the barrel burst from this - (I wasn't there but I saw the gun) and it did look very much like it. Granted though that in this case the damage is rather more dramatic.