Shotgun ammunition

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by happybonzo, Feb 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a number of squirrel drays to deal with. They are too high to use a pointed stick; So a damn good thrashing with some 12 bore rounds is called for. They do seem to be very strongly constructed. I was felling today and there was one in the trees that we dropped. It seemed as tough as old boots and would need something pretty brutal to break it up.
    Any suggestions would be welcome SSG, BB?

2. Single slug will do the trick :D

3. Yyeeesss, said in a Paxman type voice, but I'm having enough trouble with my FAC dragging on and I have no wish to wind the local Police up yet :lol:

4. Then make your own. Score the 12 gauge cartridge all the way round, with a sharp knife, where the balls start near the brass. If that makes sense? When you fire the gun the case splits, and the whole lump leaves as one, and splinters upon impact. Makes a mess alledgedly :D

5. Or....open the top, empty out lead, melt......you can guess what I'm saying :wink:

6. Do please remember the chokes if you are planning solid shot.

7. Very good point!

8. A lot of squirrels are taken by air rifle hunters in the UK, so they can be killed without resorting to home made and possibly dangerous ammunition. What were you originally thinking of using?

9. OK you could use BB or SG, but frankly at short range it really doesn't much matter what you use... all the shot will go into the dray and break it up. You only really need SG for foxes and dogs (and car doors :twisted: ...)etc which you need to hit at a distance.

Messing about with solid or "doctoring" rounds will do more damage to your gun than anything else, creates a down range projectile hazard which you don't need, and is also illegal unless you have it in your FAC...

10. Modern slug should be safe in any choke. It will say on the box.

That said, I wouldn't recommend slug for shots above the horizon as it will carry an awfully long way.

SG might be useful; it's readily available. www.justcartridges.com will do mail order if your local shop doesn't carry any.

Get the job done now though before the birds start nesting.

It's still a bit of a concern that there might be a Little Owl or whatever in there.

(Do eat your squirrels - V tasty!)

11. Squirrels with slugs? WTF are they wearing - full body armour? I'd go for 7 shot or something like. More balls but a bit lighter. If they don't work, go down to 5's.

12. Or get one of these.

13. I tried No5s and that was one of the reasons that I took that particular tree down. I wanted to see what the litte B****ds had been using to build with. The shot hadn't done much damage at all
    I want something that will be biblical in its destruction :lol:

14. I've always found that a 3 inch magnum BB will do for a drey and anything thats in residence :twisted:

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

As they are presumably unarmed - have you thought about getting closer? :wink: