Shot in battle, by the video soldiers -Telegraph

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sixty, Nov 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Good piece in the Telegraph today about the increasing use of helmet mounted cameras on Telic and Herrick.

Oh and this:

Is rather spoiled by bloke filming it saying 5 mins before "I wonder how these cnuts ever managed to find their way to Germany during the war" on the commentary.

Link

Please delete if posted already PTP. Had a look and couldn't see it.

2. i mentioned on another thread the other month asking whats the 'official' word on the use on personal recording equipment like this.

how long untill theres a fatality because he or his oppo was playing with the focus on his toy instead of watching his arc of responsibility?

i personaly think some of the footage is great, and it shows everyone what the real story and situation is in theatre, as ref the .50 ammo thread.

i can see how they would help for debriefing, int and training purposes, and its only a matter of time untill they are standerd issue i guess.

3. Thank you for the link.

To Patrick Mercer and others in Whitehall!

Patrick, you were a bloody good soldier once!

I feel that if each digit of footage were to be cleared by MOD than we should see nothing whatsoever. The Ministry would like nothing better than to 'manage' every single aspect of information or footage emanating from the place.

I think the lads should be credited with a little more sense than is attributed to them and the argument that they would somehow compromise their tactics in favour of the enemy is quite simply laughable! What happens in the field is in on too low a level to compromise anything beyond section or platoon level.

I do not believe for one moment that any soldier, of any unit who caught the death of a colleague on camera would be so insensitive and stupid enough to download it on U tube or anywhere else for that matter. They respect each other far too much for that!

For Christ sake, have a little bit of trust in the soldiers - You know, that word 'Trust', the sort of thing that they do not have in our politicians or our journalists yet have in abundance for each other!

They are not idiots!

Have a little trust in those that view those images - not everyone is a mindless automaton and some of us are capable of arriving at a judgement unclouded by 'spin'.

I trust the soldier on the ground not to put himself or anyone else at risk and in so doing to get his message across honestly rather than the overpaid idiot in Whitehall who fears the inconvenience of it!

4. I think the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have been unique in this way. Americans have been doing this since 2003, I'm glad to see Brits getting in on it. Ultimately, this is going to help in the future because historians will have so much material to work with.

5. Couldn't agree more - an incident could be captured on camera - but who in their right mind would release it????

Just had to pick myself up off the floor and book a hernia appointment - classic

6. it's as if the govenment think that Brits are gonna stand in the middle of a street to take footage, again they are steriotyping the soldier as a thick person.

7. anyone see those clips of the commandos naked and hitting each other with foam?

fellers, soldiers are well trained but they're normal. anyone remember the regiment (was it qlr, can't remember) on trial now, or were they the ones that faked the abuse of prisoners?

8. anyone see those clips of the commandos naked and hitting each other with foam?

fellers, soldiers are well trained but they're normal. anyone remember the regiment (was it qlr, can't remember) on trial now, or were they the ones that faked the abuse of prisoners?

9. Films that are released to the media generally are stupid - but to film your own mate getting shot and then release it???

There's the stupidity to film and release "bullying", and then what's suggested is surely in a different league???

10. sorry, it's not meant to be a heavy criticism, just that i think the danger is there and has to be recognised. If that's done and accepted then i don't see why they can't be used. maybe unofficial guidlines should be physically issued?

another reminder - anyone see the video of contractors in iraq to the soundtrack of Elvis, that nearly got a company in a lot of trouble? In the general context of iraq it was actually quite innocent but newsnight and the public were horrified!

11. i belive the soundtrack was dubbed on by a third party who got a copy of the vid and released it on the net, and not by the person who took it or anyone connected with the company.

12. I think they penpushers and Spin Doctors are to concerened at being shown to be the liars they are as they can not vet and distort clips placed directly on the internet.

13. fair one, wasn't aware about the soundtrack.

14. fair one, wasn't aware about the soundtrack.

15. fair one, wasn't aware about the soundtrack.