Shorts

Kit and equipment experts, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (if so please provide link as I can't find it).

I recall there being shorts (desert combat stylee) issued at some point in the last few years. My question is are these still issued (presumably in MTP) and if so under what circumstances are they authorised for wear? Presumably something to do with hot climates, worn with PCS jackets??? with boots???

Second question (also hot weather related), is the hot weather version of the PCS shirt/jacket any thinner/lighter or is it the same, just dipped in perripel as I am lead to understand?

Shorts are still issued. I've seen bummers wear them in lieu of trs in Bastion, normally coupled with a hat that's brim puts Saturn's rings to shame. Most people wear them, when on down time. Local commander's discretion I would imagine.

For the warm weather kit see below.

Greeting CH

The cloth of Warm Weather PCS is a 70:30% Poly:Cotton mix as compared to a 50:50% poly:cotton mix in the Temperate. This is the same mix as was used in Desert/MTP and Temperate (DPM) CS95 respectively. It is also a looser weave than the Temperate version and is approx 100% more permeable than the Temperate cloth. Therefore more breathable. This brings with it better sweat wicking as well so any sweat is spread out more and therefore evaporates faster. You will also note (if you look closely) that it has been treated with a rip-stop (as was Desert/MTP CS95) to reduce any rips or tears as the material is weaker than the Temperate due to its looser weave.

Warm Weather PCS has been treated with Permethrin (the active ingredient of Peripel) to act as an insecticide (there were a lot of non-battle casualties on HERRICK from infected insect bites - sheep dipping clothing is not as effective as pre-treating the cloth). This doesn't impact on the performance of the cloth itself. The Permethrin is as fixed as a dye so will remain in the cloth for as long as the useful life of the garment. Tests showed that after 6 months of twice weekly boil in the bag Bastion washes, there were still more than 70% effectiveness left.

As for the design - yes, its the same so it is completely interchangeable with the Temperate (ie post tour in the UK). However, you don't have to use the zip if you want it cooler; the velcro will hold it closed quite happily (as long as you don't melt it with a iron!).

So, why does it feel stiffer, starchier and less breathable? Probably because, as you've said, it is straight out of the packet. Frankly most things do until they've gone through the wash a couple of times and as your Temperate PCS has no doubt already been washed a few times it will feel much more comfortable to this skin. The higher cotton content in the Temperate also makes it feel more comfortable to the touch. Get them both into a hot environment and you will really notice the difference in performance.

Hope that helps. Good luck on the tour and feel free to ask any other questions about the kit you've been issued - I'm sure I can find someone to get an answer. And if you want some hairy mary shirts instead - I'm sure I could find some for you!

GS

Shorts are only to be worn in down time and never 'outside the wire'.
You are also issued sandals for the same situation to air your feet.

Neither of which can be worn around larger camps either (Bastion, Lash, Price etc) other than in you own area, as previously mentioned, at commanders discretion.

I've only seen the shorts in desert DPM but lads got their MTP trousers cut down by the tailor in Bastion for the same reasons.

Don't think you'll be on patrol in shorts though...our grandfathers may have fought in the desert in shorts but that's not how we do things now.

ugly

LE
Pah real men wore and fought in KD shorts

Cheers guys. I had assumed that the days of charging at jerry bayonets fixed and wearing SD shirts, tailored shorts and long socks was well and truly over, but something I saw the other day left me not so sure.*

* (Picture of soldiers apparently "on duty" somewhere hot but otherwise unidentifiable wearing what appeared to be PCS/MTP C95 with shorts and combat boots).

As an Engineer, I sometimes allowed the guys to work in shorts and T-shirts if doing work within the confines of a CP.
FOB maintenance etc.

Helmets/Osprey would then go on if working at height above the wall.

Otherwise the picture could be during a contact onto a CP/PB where lads may have had to don helmets/Body armour and stand to while still dressed in shorts.

ugly

LE
Cheers guys. I had assumed that the days of charging at jerry bayonets fixed and wearing SD shirts, tailored shorts and long socks was well and truly over, but something I saw the other day left me not so sure.*

* (Picture of soldiers apparently "on duty" somewhere hot but otherwise unidentifiable wearing what appeared to be PCS/MTP C95 with shorts and combat boots).
Well that response was useless without a pic!