• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Shortcrust pastry

Not having yet mastered the art of pastry,I tried again yesterday.Failed dismally.I followed a plan,did just what Delia says,still dreadful.
It comes out thin and hard beneath the quiche mixture
Where am I going wrong?

Ruff Puff Pastry(and a doddle) 2/3 cup/mug full of self raising flour, half a small packet of butter and water (enough to make a dough)

Method, rub in butter with flour then add a lilttle water and kneed anding water till you get a workable dough (don't over kneed - think a touch like a midwife not a rapist) roll out with a well floured surface hey presto.

I've never bothered with cold water or bunging in a fridge, just tap water and roll onto anything your making. It's pretty basic really but light and crumbly.

True, keep it cold otherwise the fat melts into the flour before it gets a chance to bake. You mentioned quiche, are you baking it blind before adding the eggy mix. Also use a hard butter or lard not the sloppy marg that is almost liquid at room temp.

I substitute half the fat for grated cheese and mix with a knife before finally rubbing in by hand to give the appearance of course breadcrumbs... then add cold water to bind it together.

Latest Threads