Shortback or longback

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by JUNIOR_TAPO, Apr 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Long time reader, rare poster...

I need to buy a bergen for the hills & get it modded.

I am currently using a long back but don't like it so much, is there anyone out there who is 6'4" who has experience with either?

Is 6'4" enough to prevent the problems cause by catching webbing, or should I go shortback all the way?

2. At 6ft 4, you're better off with a longback IMO.
  3. Longback for tabbing about the hills and shortback for exercise with webbing? Why not try both.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hi thanks for the replies guys, difficult to try both as buying this to get it modded for the hills...can really afford to mod 2 bergens....

I still can't see the advantage of longback for long people, been having a lot of lower back pain lately as lugging 50lb + food + water round the hills is a pain in the ass....
  5. Are you carrying the majority if weight on your shoulders ?
    The ideal method is to carry the bulk of the weight on your hips becuse your leg muscles are the biggest you have this helps reduce the compression on your spine ,the long back is meant to help with this ,however this is all well and good in principle but the reality is more difficult.
    This is also the reason for heavy stuff at the bottom and lighter stuff up top
    This is all fine is you havent got webbing on but when this is added you can use your webbing to act as a waist belt to transfer the load.
    But im sure you will find the movement of your arrse cheeks will be compromised and thus shortening your stride ,so go for a short back to help alleviate this .
    As said above you need long and short really ,what mods are you planning on doing ? could you get a removable mod and then transfer it to any bergen you want ?
  6. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Your lower back pain almost certainly wont be due to pressure from the bottom of the long back Bergan but from muscular pain caused by carrying the load too high up or too far away from your back. Both of these mean that the muscles around your lumber spine have to work harder to stabilise you. This is the reason why pretty much all big civvy hiking rucksacks have a big waist belt and a lot of lower back padding. The Army habit of having a strangely short bag with the load entirely on your shoulders is actually really bad for you of you aren't wearing webbing.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Aren't the issue bergans designed with belt order in mind? My PLCE certainly is
  8. The hip pad on the Bergen is supposed to sit on the hips, you can't do that if wearing CEFO.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  9. My preference has always been short back bergans, but I'm only 5' 11"
  10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I'm 6'4 and a short feels weird - also you can't use the hip belt to carry the load on you er hips but rather on your waist. Agree you need either two bergens - one for with webbing and one without - I had multiple sets of webbing and a giant bergen back in the day - chest webbing, battle jacket and standard webbing with assault pack.

With a decent set up and a hip belt you can carry up to 55kg easily.
  11. Must have been a design change - mine sat perfectly on belt order and won't go near my hips unless the shoulder straps are pretty much fully undone
  12. If you're tall stick with the long back, I'm tall and on exercise ended up swapping for a short back, could only manage it for a short time before getting serious back ache.
  13. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm 6ft and always preferred the short back. I found it more comfortable, it seemed to spread the load better over my back. I also found it better to pack as it seemed wider rather than long and narrow.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I'm 6',.5" and only once used a short back - it felt like I was wearing an overly wide daysack