Short Weekend Trips?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Dinnerz, Sep 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Considering taking a short weekend away, whether it be within the UK or further afield such as France or Belgium.

Can anyone recommend anywhere in particular to visit/stay? Not largely fussed about accommodation since I don't intend to spend much time indoors so B&Bs wouldn't be an issue.

I saw an advert for "A cabin in the woods" but I've seen enough films to know that's a bad call ;) Has a Jacuzzi though, so at least it'd be more luxurious till that point!

2. what do you want to do on your weekend? walking, cycling etc............and what about food? do you want restaurants or pub.....seaside or mountains.......

maybe The Big Acoustic Walk (12-13 Oct) if you like walking and music

3. Pretty much all the activities you described - though it would have to be cycle hire. A great lover of pub food here, and no place is complete without a pub within walking distance! The coast is definitely more my thing, but a "family beach" isn't all that important. Cliffs, pebbled beaches etc..

4. Ypres Belgium. An hour from Calais. Good hotels, food, beer, cognac and coffee. Good architecture and museums.

The Last Post at The Menin Gate every night at 20.00 hrs.

A bit of a "war" weekend but well worth a visit and everyone should go at least once imo.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Further to my last, you can hire bikes and it's nice and flat, but miles from a beach!

6. Tyne cot?
    ImageUploadedByARRSE1378061999.775420.jpg

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Go to Cologne - direct flights from Heathrow (German Wings) and Gatwick (Easyjet), only 45 minutes flying time away, fast and cheap connections from the airport to the central railway station, plenty of history and culture (especially the Dom), excellent public transport, good shopping and nightlife. What's not to like?

8. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Before we had sprogs, the wife and I used to bang in a long weekend away every couple of months or so, usually courtesy of the travel company she worked for.

It's perfectly doable on a 3 day trip with cheapo PovertyAir flights to get a decent break.

Try Dubrovnic it's nice this time of year/

9. [Try Dubrovnic it's nice this time of year]

In fact, a friend of mine is going there tomorrow for five days, to soak up some late summer sunshine...

10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It's really nice, like Venice, negative canals and dead pigeons.

So nothing like Venice at all actually. :)

We had a freebie stay in the Hilton, just outside the Old town. Flights were peanuts with BA. Scran was top notch, heavily influenced by the Italians. I had the best pizza of my life there.

11. Thank you very much for the swift replies, i'll take a look into them and see what comes about!

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Reims. Only a few hours from Calais by car, lots of accom and some decent restaurants.

Of course, the main attraction is the large number of champagne houses there which offer tours and tasting sessions for reasonable prices.

Pommery is one of the more enjoyable ones.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I love Champagne but I'm too tight to drink it often.
    Yes your richliness of course you can take me.

14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It will cost you 10 or 15 Euros for a tour and tasting, and they sell it by the glass in Cafes for very little.

Sell a whippet or two and treat yourself.

15. Too cold here for whippets, we have to have Husky's. Charging to sell you drinks what a crap idea. When I visited Cognac tours were free and included a drink or two. I got hooked on Pineau de Charente and drank lots of it.
    You can drive.