Short Tours.....Just In Time For A Medal Short!!!

#1
Two people are just about to return from a tour, they hold senior positions within the Regt, and they are returning on the back of some quite frankly, pathetic excuses. Time away??? 28 days exactly.
I'm interested to know how much of this is going on, and if so, how come it is deemed acceptable.
 
#2
You may not like it but if they hold senior positions, what are you going to do about it? It's no different to people who got the Kosovo medal for sitting on their arses in Naples....
 
#3
It is pants...

Think back to when the only three medals you would normally get!

NI, UNFICYP and LSGC.

Bandies went to the province did 28 days and then ferked orf again! That was shit as well, been done for ages mate!
 
#5
How did they wangle that 1??????
 
#6
The way i see it is you wear your medals with pride and knowing what you have done to earn them. Someone who has wangled a 28 day tour to receive a medal is only fooling himself at the end of the day. It's not the medal that counts but what you did to earn it.
 
#7
I know I'm a scaley intruding on an aviation forum, but thought I'd let you know this is also wide-spread amongst our numbers as well.
I once worked for an Int Corps WO1 who had a whole chest full of medals, but once added up had only done about a year away. When Bosnia and Kosovo changed to Oculus and a new medal was being issued they put themselves down for a 5 week stint as OC of a troop...until it was announced that if you held any of the other Balkans medals you couldn't wear the new one. They were then indespensible (spellist) and couldn't go.

I'm going back in my hole now.
 
#9
Mostprobably a form needed signing on his desk at home!
 
#10
Wobblyhead said:
I know I'm a scaley intruding on an aviation forum, but thought I'd let you know this is also wide-spread amongst our numbers as well.
I once worked for an Int Corps WO1 who had a whole chest full of medals, but once added up had only done about a year away. When Bosnia and Kosovo changed to Oculus and a new medal was being issued they put themselves down for a 5 week stint as OC of a troop...until it was announced that if you held any of the other Balkans medals you couldn't wear the new one. They were then indespensible (spellist) and couldn't go.

I'm going back in my hole now.
Sound just like Radio Supes to me....
 
#11
To be honest i don't want to be drawn on it, but trust me, they are poor, poor reasons, as were the excuses for going out there in the first place. The old chestnut of ticks in the boxes are prevalent in every bodies thoughts when being told this particular story. One of the people has created a rod for his own back when it comes down to respect, as quite rightly pointed out by Fallshirmjager. I will go out and do my time on my tour when the time comes, i won't BS*it you, i am not going to storm into the Admin office and bang out over it, but, if i can stick it to the man on this, i will......... If i did respect them before, i don't now. :!:
 
#12
There are quite a few people that go out for a lot less than 28 days, do a damn sight more than those that are there for 6 months, and don't get a medal. Lets face it, this has always happened. I went on Op Granby for 19 days during the initial phase, I didn't complain that I didn't get a gong, but I bloody complained when every bugger in Cyprus got a Granby Medal for windsurfing. So frankly I didn't feel guilty when the medal arrived for only doing 36 days on Telic 1, I didn't exactly have any say in the matter. To be honest if at the 27 day point someone had said "you can get on a flight today or stay one more day for a medal" I'd have nicked their vehicle and been in Basra within the hour!
 
#13
I think we've all seen it and it's obviously not something that has mellowed with time. Good points from Fallschirmjager and Floppyjocky and I think it just boils down to the individual, are you gong crazy or not. If you get one anyway then fine but do you go out hunting them?

My only experience was the choice of NI or BATUS and I chose BATUS. I was told that I would get a medal for NI. AND?

Got the proclamation and a severe six week hangover but nothing to polish on my chest.
Maybe I should get a nipple pierced?
 
#14
Missionary_Impossible said:
If i did respect them before, i don't now. :!:
Sounds like a big "IF"! :twisted:
 
#15
It's not the length of time, it's the careerism behind it that p-s me off. Medals equal experience, well no they don't, experience equals experience and anyone who thinks that can be overturned by silvery-ribbony stuff is misled or worse. The Army is in danger of losing track of its values. Then again, any organisation that has to publish a pamphlet called "The Values and Standards of the British Army" probably is...

22 years I served before that splendid work winged it's way into my pigeon hole and never did I consider standards consciously - because we were being imbued with them subconsciously and our professionalism was a global standard in itself. I fear that there are cracks in the walls, only one in every three legionaries is a real Roman and as for this Emperor Blairinus - apparently he comes from the provinces!
 
#16
Cuddles said:
It's not the length of time, it's the careerism behind it that p-s me off. Medals equal experience, well no they don't, experience equals experience and anyone who thinks that can be overturned by silvery-ribbony stuff is misled or worse. The Army is in danger of losing track of its values. Then again, any organisation that has to publish a pamphlet called "The Values and Standards of the British Army" probably is...

22 years I served before that splendid work winged it's way into my pigeon hole and never did I consider standards consciously - because we were being imbued with them subconsciously and our professionalism was a global standard in itself. I fear that there are cracks in the walls, only one in every three legionaries is a real Roman and as for this Emperor Blairinus - apparently he comes from the provinces!
You're a hard act to follow Cuddles so I'll just totally agree with you.

Do I get a medal for that?
 
#17
When I was on TSW we'd often get junior officers volunteering to replace one of the lads for a stint at R850.

They'd usually return to England due to some sort of paper clip emergency at the 29 day point strangely, leaving us shorthanded for the rest of the tour. Bunch of Mutley twats.

I remember only one exception to this 'rule' and that was the at the time XO of TSW, a Sqn Ldr who shall remain nameless as he still serves. He volunteered for a Christmas/New Year tour, told the Cpl running the det that for the duration he was to be treated like one of the lads (with due reference to rank of course), gt out on the pan in all-weather, did his time up G40 like the rest of us and returned to the UK when we did. If only there were more officers like him around.
 
#18
TheHelpfulStacker said:
When I was on TSW we'd often get junior officers volunteering to replace one of the lads for a stint at R850.

They'd usually return to England due to some sort of paper clip emergency at the 29 day point strangely, leaving us shorthanded for the rest of the tour. Bunch of Mutley ****.

I remember only one exception to this 'rule' and that was the at the time XO of TSW, a Sqn Ldr who shall remain nameless as he still serves. He volunteered for a Christmas/New Year tour, told the Cpl running the det that for the duration he was to be treated like one of the lads (with due reference to rank of course), gt out on the pan in all-weather, did his time up G40 like the rest of us and returned to the UK when we did. If only there were more officers like him around.
Yeah Fair One Helpful, the problem as i see it is that certain callsigns at the middle and upper pay scale are really looking out for them selves, if the seniority within the unit are so keen to go. Then go, and do your F***ing time!!! Occupying a position then leaving people short is about as Jack as it gets. The hierarchy should not be treating the Unit like some Bloody Club. Thats Officers AND Seniors. I have learnt from this i assure you. The guy you talk about, we could do with a few more like that, that is for sure.
 
#19
mistersoft said:
Cuddles said:
It's not the length of time, it's the careerism behind it that p-s me off. Medals equal experience, well no they don't, experience equals experience and anyone who thinks that can be overturned by silvery-ribbony stuff is misled or worse. The Army is in danger of losing track of its values. Then again, any organisation that has to publish a pamphlet called "The Values and Standards of the British Army" probably is...

22 years I served before that splendid work winged it's way into my pigeon hole and never did I consider standards consciously - because we were being imbued with them subconsciously and our professionalism was a global standard in itself. I fear that there are cracks in the walls, only one in every three legionaries is a real Roman and as for this Emperor Blairinus - apparently he comes from the provinces!
You're a hard act to follow Cuddles so I'll just totally agree with you.

Do I get a medal for that?
Only if you promise not to use it to unfairly advance your career...
 
#20
It's a very regular occurance believe me. I've seen it happen many times. Almost as annoying as crabs getting medals for sunning it up in Italy!
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
7 Army Pay, Claims & JPA 1
T Army Reserve 36
Waldorfmuppet Army Reserve 16

Similar threads

New Posts

Top