Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Short Sunderland Mklll 1.72 scale with Eduard PE maintenance platform

Sod that, giving up, I'm champing at the bit to get stuck into the PE, it's going to look epic.
champing at the bit to get stuck into the pe.png

the tip of the engine housing/shroud appears to be bronze or brass, getting that to look scale is a messy business with paint mixed in a coke can bottom, thinners, matt black and gold, several light coats to get a weathered brass look.
@SPROCKET321
May I respectfully suggest that you tone down the brass-look of the engine cowling leading edge. It's actually the exhaust collector ring.
It is more a browny-bronze, vaguely mettalic colour.

It's not my day at the museum tomorrow, but I'll happily go in before the great unwashed turn up, and take some pictures of exhaust pipes - and hope that the pictures have some semblance of the true colours.

Edited for wine-induced spilling.

@SPROCKET321
May I respectfully suggest that you tone down the brass-look of the engine cowling leading edge. It's actually the exhaust collector ring.
It is more a browny-bronze, vaguely mettalic colour.

It's not my day at the museum tomorrow, but I'll happily go in before the great unwashed turn up, and take some pictures of exhaust pipes - and hope that the pictures have some semblance of the true colours.

Edited for wine-induced spilling.

E80BD203-EED5-4FCC-8717-D448ADFDD7C4.jpeg

Si, your first photo shows the paint burning off the collector ring.
The next photos are in the museum with a refurbished aircraft.

Nevertheless, the front edge of the engine cowling shouldn't look brassy.

OK, I'll shut up.

OK, I'll shut up.

Nevertheless, the front edge of the engine cowling shouldn't look brassy.

OK, I'll shut up.
Well, I'll shut up after I've posted this:

1601331173658.png

OK, I'll shut up.

Well, I'll shut up after I've posted this:

View attachment 508108

I’ve been through hundreds and hundreds of photos of Spads and I’m still unsure about the colours of the wheel bays and undercarriage. The reality is all you can do is model one specific plane as they are all different. I’m sure researching the Sunderland will be the Same experience. There’s also modellers poetic license - if in doubt. That said, you’ve got to be happy you’ve got the basics right and it stands up to scrutiny. Particularly if posting on here!!

I’ve been through hundreds and hundreds of photos of Spads and I’m still unsure about the colours of the wheel bays and undercarriage. The reality is all you can do is model one specific plane as they are all different. I’m sure researching the Sunderland will be the Same experience. There’s also modellers poetic license - if in doubt. That said, you’ve got to be happy you’ve got the basics right and it stands up to scrutiny. Particularly if posting on here!!
Fair enough, but if anyone wants photos of in-service exhaust systems - a niche market I agree - I'll take some pictures. I can't guarantee the true colours with lighting etc. but I'll do my best.
ETA - The same goes for any AAC aircraft, ancient and modern. Up to but not including Apache - we haven't got one yet.
Let me know if I can help.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but if anyone wants photos of in-service exhaust systems - a niche market I agree - I'll take some pictures. I can't guarantee the true colours with lighting etc. but I'll do my best.
ETA - The same goes for any AAC aircraft, ancient and modern. Up to but not including Apache - we haven't got one yet.
That exhaust collector ring, is part of the reason Radial engines are a fair bit quieter than a in line engine. Japs called the Beaufighter “whispering death”.

Wessex?

Only AAC aircraft and a few odd-balls.
Skeeter, Sioux, Alouette II, Scout, Lynx, Three marks of Auster, Beaver.
Captured Argie A109 & UH-1 Huey, Bristol Belvedere and a Huey Cobra.
Gliders various.

Oh, and a Gazelle.

Last edited:

Latest Threads