Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Short Sunderland Mklll 1.72 scale with Eduard PE maintenance platform

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Stick a couple of cannon on a fork lift or something so you can see they've been removed. Else leave them in

That's an excellent idea - otherwise it may be accurate but it'll look odd to us ignorant folk.

As an aside, these modelling threads are fast becoming a guilty pleasure - quite apart from the arcane knowledge of the Arrse massiv, the quality, care and attention to detail on the builds is astounding.

4(T)

LE
true, but Puttees in my hands showed that engine fires frequently resulted in an airframe right-off, as is my diorama story, will it,won't it be considered beyond economic repair, or returned to service, In which case, guns out?

building this up on Arrse has meant that the amount of information advice and opinion has helped me develop the Story behind the Diorama.

If you're taking the guns out, then you might want to consider taking everything else out? Sunderlands carried tons of kit and stores - anchors, chains, mooring ropes, dinghys, flares, binos, galley stores, etc and so on. I imagine the station QM would be straight down there making sure the erks accounted for everything on the 1157.

It's starting to look as though the next challenge will be a scratch-build Bedford OX with Queen Mary trailer in 1:35...

some interesting ideas there, even if some are meant a bit tongue in cheek. this Airfix figure, been waiting all my modelling life to find a use for him.
armourer figure.png

the ideas are flooding out, I have the Airfix Recovery set with the QM trailer, and the crane, But, "Better than that" here's one built from the re fuelling kit, also by airfix Made up waiting a diorama, Now, could they remove fuel as well as refuel.
pressure fueler.png

the ideas are flooding out, I have the Airfix Recovery set with the QM trailer, and the crane, But, "Better than that" here's one built from the re fuelling kit, also by airfix Made up waiting a diorama, Now, could they remove fuel as well as refuel.
View attachment 509593
This is where a 3d scanner and printer would be useful. I'm not aware of a 1:35 kit.

This is where a 3d scanner and printer would be useful. I'm not aware of a 1:35 kit.
This bloke had a go:

I've got the AFV Mat in my stash and I'm tempted to scratch a fuel tender.

This bloke had a go:

I've got the AFV Mat in my stash and I'm tempted to scratch a fuel tender.
Some good after market available for it now

View attachment 509593
Single point pressure refuelling on modern aircraft easy peasey, however on these I would guess fuel drain valves on each individual tank to a receptacle. As long as the earthing is good you should be ok unlike the Pembroke at Wildenrath.

They have the 1:72 Coastal Command Whitley for £30.00 (£35 on a well-known river site). The Whitley was a much maligned aircraft; I'm tempted to buy it and build it our of sympathy.

It's a good kit. My mate built it, albeit in Bomber Command guise.

IMG-20201004-WA0003.jpg

the drop down platforms fitted, no WAAFs.
platforms down.png

the top turret fairings and ariel mount fitted.
ariel mount fitted.png

started work on the sloping concrete slipway, it's not the same size as the wingspan or fuselage length, for a reason, the glass case will have a blue cardboard surrounding the diorama base with media including some text on the mark. When the primer dries I will airbrush some tide lines, runs and other weathering.
concrete slipway a.png

started work on the sloping concrete slipway, it's not the same size as the wingspan or fuselage length, for a reason, the glass case will have a blue cardboard surrounding the diorama base with media including some text on the mark. When the primer dries I will airbrush some tide lines, runs and other weathering.
Now there's an opportunity for some exposed rusty rebar, a bit of spalling, a big oil stain and maybe a dead rainbow.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
to say these are fragile and delicate to handle is an understatement, like making a scale model of a crane fly, so far, all four platform hanger frames in place.
all four platform hangers.png

Latest Threads