Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Short Sunderland Mklll 1.72 scale with Eduard PE maintenance platform

Thread drift, but it's applicable here. A mate of mine does some fine models and is currently putting a 1/72 Do17 together. Here's the engine detail.

IMG-20200925-WA0000.jpg

the four props and spinner caps in white on three, one will have the spinner cap on the service gantry platform
props.png

the first prop fitted to the port outer
first spinner cap.png

Machine guns or no machine guns, that is the question. My only experience and knowledge of turret guns is the L37 fitted to my old ride, three one Alpha. It would no more have been fitted while it was at the LAD (undergoing routine service, let alone after a fire,) than they would issue sky hooks from the guardroom. So, guns or no guns fitted in the turrets of the Sunderland? that is the question.
guns or no guns that is the question.png

Last edited:

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Machine guns or no machine guns, that is the question, my only experience and knowledge of turret guns is the L37 fitted to my old ride, three one Alpha, It would no more have been fitted while it was at the LAD (undergoing routine service, let alone after a fire,) than they would issue sky hooks from the guardroom. So, guns or no guns fitted in the turrets of the Sunderland? that is the question.
View attachment 509482
I'd go guns free mate. You don't want them fitters getting greasy mitts all over some nice weapons.

I asked my son Harry what he thought, he thinks it should have guns. only because of the box art showing them, and for no other reason, mind you, he paints Dungeons and Dragon figures, he does them rather well havng been brought up on Airfix kits, but they are as far removed from a Short Sunderland Diorama as you can get.
dungeons and dragons.png

Sticky847

Swinger
Not wanting to increase yr workload but the prop on the engine that is flambé d would probably have been feathered in flight to reduce drag. Am enjoying all your output, I still need to finish a 1/16 th t34/76 I started 2 yrs ago think I need some of yr mojo to finish weathering it

Machine guns or no machine guns, that is the question. My only experience and knowledge of turret guns is the L37 fitted to my old ride, three one Alpha. It would no more have been fitted while it was at the LAD (undergoing routine service, let alone after a fire,) than they would issue sky hooks from the guardroom. So, guns or no guns fitted in the turrets of the Sunderland? that is the question.
View attachment 509482

It's looking fantastic. Well done mate - you choose real classics to build

Slight thread drift, but I popped into 'The Works' at INTU, Watford yesterday, and they had a few Airfix kits. They have the 1:72 Coastal Command Whitley for £30.00 (£35 on a well-known river site). They had a few other odds and sods. The Whitley was a much maligned aircraft; I'm tempted to buy it and build it our of sympathy...

They also have a large range of the new Haynes Manuals (Tommy 1914-18; Lancaster, etc) for £5 rather than the usual £25.

Slight thread drift, but I popped into 'The Works' at INTU, Watford yesterday, and they had a few Airfix kits. They have the 1:72 Coastal Command Whitley for £30.00 (£35 on a well-known river site). They had a few other odds and sods. The Whitley was a much maligned aircraft; I'm tempted to buy it and build it our of sympathy...

They also have a large range of the new Haynes Manuals (Tommy 1914-18; Lancaster, etc) for £5 rather than the usual £25.
I'll do it for you:

I'm tempted to get this for the stash.

Last edited:
I’d suggest no guns, remember the environment it operates in. Even if the aircraft hadn’t been in combat, the guns would have been tested once they cleared land.
Gun fitters would have removed the weapons for cleaning as soon as it landed.

4(T)

LE
View attachment 509482

I'd have thought that if this scenario was an immediate repair in an operational wartime station, then the guns would still be in place and would remain there. AFAIK aircraft and vehicles were usually still armed even when being ferried to and from base workshops.

I'd have thought that if this scenario was an immediate repair in an operational wartime station, then the guns would still be in place and would remain there. AFAIK aircraft and vehicles were usually still armed even when being ferried to and from base workshops.
true, but Puttees in my hands showed that engine fires frequently resulted in an airframe right-off, as is my diorama story, will it,won't it be considered beyond economic repair, or returned to service, In which case, guns out?

building this up on Arrse has meant that the amount of information advice and opinion has helped me develop the Story behind the Diorama.

true, but Puttees in my hands showed that engine fires frequently resulted in an airframe right-off, as is my diorama story, will it,won't it be considered beyond economic repair, or returned to service, In which case, guns out?

building this up on Arrse has meant that the amount of information advice and opinion has helped me develop the Story behind the Diorama.
Take my earlier photos with a pinch of salt. They're probably representative of uncontrolled fires. What was the result of a fire that was quickly extinguished? Might have been repaired and nobody thought it was sufficiently notable to take a photo.

My 2d is guns out. The aircraft is going to be out of action for a few days so it makes sense to keep them in the armoury to avoid rusting. But if you want guns-in, add the line to the story that the erks haven't got round to removing them yet.

Your model, your story, anything credible works. Just don't fit chain guns to each side of the wing floats or open the hull to reveal a Tallboy.

tgo

War Hero
Stick a couple of cannon on a fork lift or something so you can see they've been removed. Else leave them in

Latest Threads