Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Short Sunderland Mklll 1.72 scale with Eduard PE maintenance platform

Starboard wing attached and left to harden in place overnight. The Port wing will go on next as it has a lot of delicate pe to go on that wont survive the rough handling fitting the wing.
starb wing attached.png

I’ve been through hundreds and hundreds of photos of Spads and I’m still unsure about the colours of the wheel bays and undercarriage.

Post war, they should be white - that goes for all US types. That's u/c bays, oleos, hyd pipes and wheels. White shows up snags. That said, when they're caked in PX and filth then they're anything but Daz brilliance. There's always going to be odd exceptions, such as B26 Counter Invaders, but every US type I've worked on has had white u/c bays - from F4s to L1011s.

Post war, they should be white - that goes for all US types. That's u/c bays, oleos, hyd pipes and wheels. White shows up snags. That said, when they're caked in PX and filth then they're anything but Daz brilliance. There's always going to be odd exceptions, such as B26 Counter Invaders, but every US type I've worked on has had white u/c bays - from F4s to L1011s.

I've seen navy blue undercarriages on Korean war Spads????

Sorry for thread hi-jack @SPROCKET321

I know - its bloody good isn't it, but I thought it was useful to look at a model as well as the images that are gen

Back in the last millennium, it was SOP at RAF Leuchars to send the crow (or crab equivalent) to the Station Warrant Officer to ask the location of the Airfield Flood Valves use in emergency seaplane landings.
Not to mention the Q Code 'QQQ - flood your runway, I am a seaplane', for the gullible junior communicator!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

both wings wedged in position as it dries and the adhesive hardens off in place.
wings drying wedged in position b.png

when they are ready for more work, turrets, props, and then the service platforms, and maybe a couple of Erks, drawing in a sharp breath as they write off the aircraft.
wings drying wedged in position.png

NSP

LE
All the engine rooms I've been in have been white - and operating theatre-clean - for that reason; shows up leaks, spills, etc. instantly.

All the engine rooms I've been in have been white - and operating theatre-clean - for that reason; shows up leaks, spills, etc. instantly.
Do you worry when you smell fresh paint?

NSP

LE
Do you worry when you smell fresh paint?
On a ship you can always smell fresh paint. It's minging solvent-based stuff. Painting is a year-round occupation for the deckies. When they get to the last bit it's time to start again at the first bit.

It's always fun to be onboard when they are painting around the ventilation intakes...

the frighteningly fine service and maintenance platform hanger, this bolts (in real life, not in 1/72, I'll fix them with superglue) to the swing down, wing leading edge panels.
platform hanger.png

here are the panels, hangers and platforms
pe parts partial assembled.png

the nose gives you an idea how tiny the pe parts are. Fitting these will be a challenge to my patients.
pe and the nose.png

I remember seeing that at West Malling years ago ....... what a great show West Malling was .
If I could go back in time I would love to travel the old Empire flying boat routes ....