Short Service Volunteer Commission - Pension ?

Years ago I applied for FTRS and got offered a post with a unit in NI - so I had to go on SSVC. On return to the UK I converted back to FTRS and stagged on for several more years.

Before I go through the rigmarole of asking our pay folk - anyone know how SSVC ties in with Reserves pensions ?
There was no gap in service, I was on duty on SSVC one day, in uniform at Chillwell the next and back with the unit that evening.

E

EScotia

I'd have thought if you were on FTRS you would have qualified for a reserved pension after 2 years whether you were an officer or other rank.

SSVC is not pensionable. Had you done the attachment on FTRS it would have been. Would be interested in a legal comment but that is how I understand it

SSVC is not pensionable. Had you done the attachment on FTRS it would have been. Would be interested in a legal comment but that is how I understand it
Now thats interesting - It all happened very fast and I don't remember getting any sort of brief on what it entailed - no trip to Chilwell, no OPTAG, just straight to NI in my own car....

OK, the end of Banner was not exactly dangerous but I was " On Ops" and Gazetted in the "Regular" section of the reports. If I'm going to be short-changed on a Pension I'm going to be pretty peeved - and legal action will be right at the top of my list - It was APC who f*cked up and lost me the FTRS post I'd applied for in the first place !!

Edited to add - A bit of Google found this.....

I am on a Short Service Volunteer Commission (SSVC). Will I have to join AFPS 05 if I start another SSVC?
Yes, you will automatically join AFPS 05. You can keep your previous service in AFPS 75-FTRS or transfer that service into AFPS 05, but the usual time limits apply for transferring in of benefits (see the booklet ‘Transferring Benefits’ MMP/129).

So hopefully my year in NI will run straight on into the FTRS that followed for Pension purposes.....

Do let me know how you get on since I got a long winded no from the men at the ministry who would not link my SSVC service stating that the type of commission/service did not carry any pension rights so could not carry any additional increment to regular or FTRS pensionable service

OK, will do !

If it is the case that SSVC carries no pension then it would be a strange anomaly. I'll try to find the original doc that shows up on Google - it was in a National Archives page so its "official" ....

edited to add ... the text I quoted was one of the FAQs associated with the Offer to Transfer Doc around AFPS05.
...got to be pukka ?

Thanks. It wouldnt be the first time the left and right hands were confused. I have the letter somewhere so would be delighted to see what you can turn up