Short Service Commissions

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Whitey94, Jul 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's been brought to my attention that after Sandhurst, officers are only offered a five year SSC and after that you're either asked to kindly fcuk off or if you are lucky you can stay. What i'm asking is, can anyone give some solid advice as to how can I ensure I stay in and not get thrown out on my arse?
  2. By being good at your job
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Clearly, someone at an AFCO said that you have to be the grey man in moderation, still wondering what the hell he meant by that...
  4. Get in first
  5. The SSC is actually 3 years, extendable to 8 (unless they have changed it again). What this means is that you have to stay for 3 years post commissioning and may extend your SSC year by year beyond that out to 8 years, providing the army allow you to do so. At some stage and once you have received two recommends to do so, you may apply to convert to an IRC, which will see you through to 16 years service and then likewise a RegC which will take you to age 55, unless you are promoted to Brigadier or beyond (at which case you go onto a different contract).

In order to be allowed to extend your SSC you need to perform to an acceptable standard and there needs to be sufficient space for officers of your seniority in your part of the army (if not, the least well performing are let go of).

Converting to IRC and then to RegC are more competitive. In order to apply, your second reporting officer (normally your Commanding Officer) must formally recommend you two years running. You are then considered by a board who will allow the best officers in your part of the army and of your seniority to convert their commissions.

It sounds onerous, but is not too bad and unless you are a pretty awful officer (or there are lots of better people of the same seniority) you can be fairly sure of being allowed to stay. They gave me a RegC a few years ago, so it can't be that difficult!
  6. Oh right, thanks. Sounds a lot better than the way most people have been talking. Some of the statistics I got given were like 1 in 100 to get a regular commission.
  7. It's three years not five.
  8. Oops someone already got that. Let me give you some more stats though. DM(A) has over promoted 625 Majors. They are over by 25 Capts. So let's look at the knock on. Few Capts will get IRC and Reg C until there are gaps. The redundancieswill sort some of this out but otherwise it is far more competitve to get an IRC and Reg C. Having said that it is only a desk officer piece of staff work to get your SSC extended to the max 8 yr point (+ 1 yr at RMAS). What I would say is if you fail to get an IRC they army bins you 4 wks before your 9 year point. The 9 year point if the qualifying point for you £14686 resettlement grant. Cheeky huh. So there it is.
  9. Extra question, do you have any indications before your extensions of your performance, a kind of performance evaluation during your commission? If you are "binned", does that mean you are made redundant with payment, or is it just end of your contracted period 4 weeks notice, enjoy your life?
  10. It is worse and better than that. They may be over in the major area, but are probably under in captains. Definitely are in my cap badge (RA). You wont get majority without an IRC, so they can use constriction of IRC to manage the surplus of majors. HOWEVER, the suprlus is decreasing year on year and they may just cotton on to that fact BEFORE they realise they've failed to hand out any IRCs to get people promoted.

And yes, you'll know if you're good enough before it happens. Rarely do you get allowed to extend your SSC to the 8 yr point without finding out whether you've got any chance of an IRC (but I know a few people who have sliped by not applying etc). What can be dangerous is going from 3 to 8 years in one jump and then forgetting about it and not having a switched on Adjt who nudges you to apply for IRC. And yes, you finish your SSC without resettlement grants etc, entitled from your 9 yr point. The "pension trap", as resettlement grants are part of your pension provision.

Pretty much, if you don't extend your SSC, or even if you don't convert to IRC, you finish at your stated end of engagement date. Thanks, don't collect £200, carry on. Get a pension at retirement age.
  11. Although, from what I seem to have read, most officers with a gram of competence who wish to stay on, can. I know a lot of the junior fellows joined after uni to increase employability in civilian life, and have no real interest in a majority
  12. There's a balance to be struck - the guys who invest a year of their life into RMAS and then "only" aim to do 3 years of an SSC to boost their CV (dubious - not sure it is worth the effort, unless you intend to go into Security) aren't competing for majority. Those that extend to max SSC (8 years) probably won't pull the rip cord before they're given an IRC. If you get an IRC, you WILL hang on for the 16 year point, unless you have a very good benefactor offering you an incredible job and pension...Having said that, in 11 years, I have only known 1 officer refused an SSC extension. Denial of IRC has only become a problem recently, as those that reach the 8 year point are desperate to get IRC. It doesn't affect many, as most get IRC before they're desperate.
  13. I remember watching 'Our War' on telly about a month ago, and I was struck that a lot of the ruperts featured either leave front-line service early on, or only join cos they didn't know what to do with their lives. I know that it can be hard to get an IRC in the Guards, or can you get your majority in a less competitive line infantry regiment? main thing putting me off the Foot Guards is the worry I'll be kicked out after my SSC is up, to make way for young 'uns
  14. It might be worth pointing out that the ground has already shifted for those who joined after Apr 2005 and for whom the goal is 18 years of service before they can be awarded an Immediate Pension.

15. There is no reason to suggest that any of the Guards regiments are any more competitive than most other infantry regiments. Clearly some regiments will get cohorts of particularly high quality officers in certain years, but this will largely balance out over the years. The only consistantly highly competitive infantry regiments tend to be PARA, RGR and latterly RIFLES, as all are well/over subscribed to at Sandhurst.

I'd suggest that most officers who state that "they only joined because they didn't know what to do with their lives", are slightly stretching the point. Being an Army officer is not a particularly easy thing to fall into because you litterally can't think of anything else to do.

I'm sure that, should you continue to use them, your use of "cos" and your rather chippy referral to officers as "ruperts" will endear you to the Guards (or indeed any other regiment you might apply to).