short op tour for ex-QA?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by napier, Jul 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

My OH left the QAs about 5 years ago after 6 years' service. On leaving she went back to the NHS (A&E/Nurse Practitioner). She has heard that some civvy nurses have been hired to deploy on ops to base hospitals and would like to do likewise (she misses the whole Army thing and wants to contribute).

Is this still the case; if so, who do I speak to and what are the terms and conditions?

She can't rejoin/go TA as we have 2 young kids and I am serving - but I figure that if I'm in a desk job I could cover childcare for a month or 2.

Please advise.

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

3. napier

Thanks very much

4. What a joke they are, promise you the world,then get fcuk all. Barstewards the lot of them.

CTC

5. You will need to look at recent editions of Nursing Times / Nursing standard. There was an advert for NHS nurses ( not Frontier Med. ) to do a stint in Bastion. However, the advert was for Paediatric Nurses. It is the best point of contact I am aware of.

6. National Health Service Support to Operations (NHS-S20)

"Have You Got What it takes"

If you are a NHS employed Children's Nurse and interested in finding out more about working alongside the Defence Medical Services on Operations in Afghanistan, you should contact

Staff Office 1, Medical Plans
    Level 6, Zone E
    Surgeon General's Department
    Ministry of Defence Main building
    Whitehall
    London SW1A 2HB

Telephone 020 7807 0455

If you look at Nursing Standard Paediatric jobs. They have sent other skills but cant find any further details.

7. Why doesn't your wife just join the TA??? Wouldn't it be the simplist way, if she's that desperate to get on a tour?

8. napier

Thanks again for the pointers.

Leviticus, As I said before, I am still serving and she doesn't have the time to give on a more regular basis. She left the Army because we wanted kids - I haven't met any serving couples who have kids and don't have problems with concurrent/consecutive deployments (I'm scheduled for H12). As I understand it, civvy medical staff are used to augment the reg/TA staff at places like Bastion and can negotiate the start date and length of their contract - that wouldn't happen with the TA.

9. and of course the money is a bit better than the TA! :twisted:

10. I heard it was £5000 per month for the NHS staff plus other benefits!

11. 3 months on, 2 months off, sack it whenever you want, demand to stay in a hotel while on predeployment training (and get it! the girl who deployed with us refused to stay in the accom and off she went, with transport to pick her up and take her back each day, tab picked up by the tax payer!)

12. Damn right Mercenary....... makes me sick to the pit of my stomach. Is it anything to do with caring for the sick and wounded or simply the attraction of ‘pop star’ wages? If this is the case... Why don't our military AHPs get paid more???

13. because some of them dont even deserve what they actually get now and let the rest down, especially when interviewed by the pay review board!

Theres a distinct lack of drive and ambition in certain areas.

14. Actually... YEAH your both right, it does wanna make you:
    [​IMG]

15. Some CEG's appreciate your hard work and effort! My pay pack will look much nicer from tomorrow.

Sluice